Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the iTunes Store blocked in China

There's enough evidence from other posters on the forums (inc. this thread: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1932440&tstart=0) and from Twitterers to conclude that the iTunes Store has been blocked by the Chinese "Great Firewall" which 'filters' certain material.

I can: update and download apps and podcasts that I already have.

I can't: access the iTMS at all, for the past 48 hours (it's now 10am on Monday, Beijing time [GMT +8]), and the same for lots of other users in different parts of the country.

It's the same problem when tried on my gf's Windows laptop, my own Macbook, and on my iPod Touch, and it's the same regardless of whether I'm signed in to my iTMS account or not.

So, any official word from Apple on whether they can confirm the blockage?

Thanks.

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 8, 2009 7:11 PM

10 replies

Mar 8, 2009 10:52 PM in response to mmukhe

Apple surely know what's happening, but are powerless to change the last IP link in the ax.phobos... etc link that iTunes uses, which another user has proved fails at it's final Beijing IP address, proving a widespread blockage (ie: the Great Firewall, or #gfw on twitter) rather than any problem with any individual user's iTunes or computer.

So, don't bother re-installing iTunes, repairing permissions, or anything, as it's no use. It'll work when it gets unblocked, however long it takes, but just a few days I guess.

It occurred once last year because of some 'sensitive' concert for Tibet album in the Store. Just check back occasionally on the iTMS, and it'll eventually work.

the iTunes Store blocked in China

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.