Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail, Verizon email and outgoing mail server error

I have searched the web and this forum to no avail, so here is the problem.

I am new to Verizon. I have my account configured properly with Apple Mail. When I try to send mail I get an outgoing mail server error:

The sender address me@verizon.net was rejected by the server outgoing.verizon.net.

Verizon tech support wont help, they want you to check your email online and do not support email clients.

I have set up my email with Thunderbird and it works perfectly.

I also have noted occasionally that my iphone states that there is an invalid name or pw when checking my verizon email, but it will get the mail most of the time.

Any suggestions? Solutions? Is it just that Apple mail and Verizon wont work well together or is there a setting tweak that I am missing here?

Thanks......

mbp C2D 15", 2.40, 160 gig hd, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Mar 9, 2009 12:27 PM

8 replies

Mar 10, 2009 5:36 PM in response to ssh Mac

I have considered this, but it is a real pain to keep switching your primary email address as you could imagine. I had been with comcast for several years and then changed to verizon b/c comcast's customer service and phone service was atrocious. So I switched everything over to verizon and now i simply can't get it to work reliably, except on Thunderbird. The mystery question is how does it work on their application and not on Apple's?

Mar 10, 2009 7:17 PM in response to Docal97

For Verizon, use the following settings:

server name: outgoing.verizon.net
ports: use default ports (25, 465, 587)
authentication: password
username: your.address@verizon.net
password: yourVerizonPassword

For the record, Verizon does support connections from e-mail clients. They generally don't know Apple Mail, and they don't support secure sockets layer.

Mar 12, 2009 6:44 PM in response to ntexasmom

nah, it just dosen't work with Apple mail reliably. I have gotten it to work periodically, usually after just deleting one profile and setting up a new one. But it is a real pain and it is unreliable. Interestingly, with Mozilla Thunderbird it works perfectly, without any problems, so this is what I am using. But I really did want to use Apple Mail b/c I like the program, but no one seems to know how to fix this issue and neither Apple nor Verizon will help with it. They both say call the other guy, so to speak.

It is frankly amazing to me that Verizon dosen't insure that their email service will work with the common 3rd party email clients. They seem to want u to go to their website to check your email but the email portion of their website is filled with advertising and it is completely disgraceful in my opinion and I would never use it.

If I had known that this was such an issue i would have just used gmail as my primary email service, but b/c comcast always worked well with Apple Mail I thought the same would hold true with Verizon, but I was obviously wrong. And Verizon just dosen't seem to care at all about the issue.

Apple Mail, Verizon email and outgoing mail server error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.