Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I install the update from OS X 10.5.2 to 10.5.6?

After downloading the 400 MBs update files at the local library where broadband is available, when asked to choose the destination, I picked the only one offered, i.e., Mac HDD.

A red attention sign and warning came up :"You cannot install Mac OS X Update on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update".

In other words, what is touted as an update to fix certain failures of the original OS is not considered appropriate for my "volume"?

Tech support wants me to pay to fix a car that came with a punctured tire - by their own admission. And I thought Microsoft was uncooperative.

Anybody else who had this happen to them? Solution?

iMac v.X, Leopard, Mac OS X (10.5), Panasonic Lumix, video DVR-D300 (mini-RAM), Gateway/XP2

Posted on Mar 9, 2009 10:16 PM

5 replies

Mar 9, 2009 10:34 PM in response to birdy176

Based on what you said, I assume that you went to the Downloads tab in Apple's website and used Installer to install the file where it asks you to choose a destination to install. First, are you sure that you downloaded the right one for your machine? And why not use Software Updates? go to the  on the upper left and select Software Updates. Use that programme to update your computer. You can update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 so try the other way.

Mar 9, 2009 10:59 PM in response to birdy176

Try downloading and installing the 10.5.6 combo update instead available here:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/MacOS_X_10-5-6_ComboUpdate

Also, using a commercial (not residential) broadband account is not a good way to download Mac Os X software updates. The administrator might have restrictions for downloading files you aren't aware of that can restrict the installation of the software.

Make sure your Mac has enough free disk space. Right or control click the MacintoshHD icon on your Desktop, then click: Get Info. In the Get Info window, click the discovery triangle so it's facing down. You will see; Capacity and Available Make sure you have 10% available disk space, 15% is better. Insufficient available space, can cause performance issues, system corruption, and possible loss of data.

Repair Disk Permissions:
Launch Disk Utility. (Applications/Utilities) Select MacintoshHD in the panel on the left, select FirstAid, then click: Repair Disk Permissions. Quit DU when it's finished and reboot.

"And I thought Microsoft was uncooperative." That comment is totally irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Carolyn 🙂

Mar 9, 2009 11:06 PM in response to John Guo

John, thank you very much for your reply. I went to the Apple download site but after I wrote the above, I received an Apple "nag" telling me to download the 10.5.6 update directly from the link on the "nag". Failing that, I should do exactly as you told me and there I found out that it was a 675 MB elephant which would take me 2 days on dial-up.

The update I had been trying to save on my iMac "weighed" only 372 MBs, obviously a different file. I also need Apple QuickTime with "only" 75.1 MBs.

I will have to go through the same routine for the download, namely get permission from police dept to park my car at the local library after closing, permission from the lib. director and then some willing employee to watch me using their DSL. It has been known that eighty-year old guys commit terrible crimes in public libraries.

You may contact me directly if you wish. Thanks again.

My area is about the size of the Ghaza strip and just as poorly serviced by Verizon.

Message was edited by: birdy176

Mar 10, 2009 11:57 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

I thought I had explained what I have to go through to get a bloated update. I was successful in downloading the "small" one only to be told I have to get the much larger one to which there's apparently no access from the Apple website.

Thus I had to rely on the "Downloads" tab above. Going the Apple-Software Update route (top left) can only be done if I take my equipment to the library. It would be helpful to have a URL so that one can use broadband from other locations.

Since you seem to be an Apple monitor, given your objection to the Windows mention, maybe you could prevail on the powers that be to consider the plight of those living in Third World conditions rather than LA County where I grew up. My recent jump from the dark side began with a shocker when I realized that the Mac is made only for the elite and a modem was an extra purchase for hicks still depending on wires due to no fault of their own (except Verizon).

If there are several kinds of "updates", i.e., combos etc., it would behoove Apple to indicate which is which so that one gets it right the first time. And YES, I have plenty of real estate on my HDD and NO, there are no restrictions on downloading at my public agency.

How can I install the update from OS X 10.5.2 to 10.5.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.