Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrade Java runtime

Hi,

There is a bug in Java 1.5.0_16, which is the latest version of java you can get for OS 10.4. Here is a link to the bug:
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/viewbug.do;jsessionid=f1599cc25b40affffffffb376d6387cb2eb0?bugid=6746185

I think the problem is fixed in Java 1.6, but you can only get that if you have OS 10.5

The bug makes some Java WebStart apps unusable for me (crash on startup). So, I would like to downgrade my version of Java to "release 6" (which gives me 1.5.0_13). How can I do that? I've tried downloading and installing release 6, but it tells me that I "do not need that update" (how helpful).

Will Apple be releasing 1.5.0_17 (which contains the fix)? Or, is there a way to downgrade Java without reinstalling the OS (dear God).

Please help!

Thanks in advance,
Brian.

eMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 11, 2009 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2009 8:07 AM

Hi brian519, and a warm welcome to the forums! 🙂

What keeps you from Installing it is that it checks for a Jave install stub in Library>Receipts, if you trash the newer ones it'll let you install it, it also uses those stubs to find correct Permissions & for SW Update.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2009 8:07 AM in response to brian519

Hi brian519, and a warm welcome to the forums! 🙂

What keeps you from Installing it is that it checks for a Jave install stub in Library>Receipts, if you trash the newer ones it'll let you install it, it also uses those stubs to find correct Permissions & for SW Update.

Mar 11, 2009 8:18 AM in response to BDAqua

Hey BDAqua! Thanks for the quick response.

I'm new to Mac, so bear with me. When I go to Library > Receipts, I see a big list of .pkg files. I trashed the Java ones that were release 6, 7, 8, etc., but it still didn't let me install release 6.

There are a few more java*.pkg files but they look quite old (2005). Should I trash them all? Can I mess things up in there?

Thanks again

Mar 11, 2009 10:23 AM in response to BDAqua

Good idea, but rebooting didn't help.

I ended up searching the machine for any file with "java" in it and aggressively deleting them. It ended up working .. I was able to install release 6 (which gives me 1.5.0_13) and now my Java webstart program is working.

I have another Mac that I need to do this on, hopefully I can post back some better instructions in case someone else has this problem.

<rant>
Why Apple does not let you revert back to an older release is beyond me. It's extremely frustrating! If it's going to be that way, then at least keep your java vm up to date .. sun has managed to fix this bug in 1.5.0_17 and from what I understand Apple controls the JVM in Apple land .. so Apple, if you're listening, Fix it or let me Revert. My first impression of the Mac has not been great.
</rant>

BDAqua, thanks for the help

Brian.

Mar 11, 2009 11:01 AM in response to brian519

OK, here are some shortened instructions on how to make this work:

Open the Terminal and navigate to /System/Libraries/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions

Type in these commands:
sudo rm -rf 1.5
sudo rm -rf 1.5.0
sudo rm -rf A
sudo rm -rf Current
sudo rm -rf CurrentJDK

You'll be asked for your password after the first one.

Download the java release that you want. eg, release 6 is here: Download release 6 from here: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/javaformacosx104relea se6.html

Here are some related instructions I found about reverting from 1.6 (aka version 6) to 1.5:
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/joshy/archive/2007/11/howto_removej.html

I'm all set now, hope this helps someone else. Thanks again to BDAqua for the help

Brian.

Apr 25, 2009 10:21 AM in response to brian519

Brian i have a G5 (intel). And I have similar Java update issues.
I've been trying to downgrade (from release7 and 8). But still not able to install release6.
it tells me the same: "you don't need the update" . So far I have:
1) Deleted the Java packages from receipts folder
2) Followed the commands you mentioned on Terminal
3) re-started after every change (to flush cache's)
4) and finally when nothing worked: "aggresively" deleted all Java named folders and files.
Still it does not let me install release 6.
What should i do? thanks,
Fahd

Downgrade Java runtime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.