Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving to USA, bought iphone in Japan

Sorry I am completely helpless when it comes to technology, especially mobile phones, but I really have my sights on the iPhone. It's getting cheaper over here, and there are all sorts of promotions over here, so I'm itching to buy one. I'm a long term resident, but may be moving back with my family in 2010 or 2011.
My iphone will be one that is made for Japan, the software and all the other stuff. Of course language is not my concern, I am just wondering if, when I move to America, I will be able to change whatever needs to changed for it to work as an American mobile phone.
What would you have to do? If they cannot be exported I'm just gonna have to suck it up and wait till I move back to the states.

sony vaio, Windows Vista

Posted on Mar 11, 2009 8:21 AM

4 replies

Mar 11, 2009 8:27 AM in response to Gokiburi

According to this linked kbase article, iPhone 3Gs sold in Japan are carrier-locked to SoftBank. Carrier-locked phones cannot be used with a SIM card from another network, so the answer is, "No." If you buy an iPhone in Japan, you'd need to sell it there and buy another one here to use it on the US network (unless you keep the SoftBank account and pay the exorbitant international data roaming charges).

Mar 11, 2009 8:47 AM in response to Gokiburi

Gokiburi wrote:
So this is the result of a Softbank policy, not Apple?

A result of the negotiations between SoftBank and Apple, subject to Japanese law. Unlocked iPhones are sold in select countries or locked iPhones can be unlocked by the carriers in those countries, as indicated in the kbase article I linked above (e.g. Italy, Belgium, Hong Kong). In that case, those phones could be used with an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM card in the USA, for example.

But, there's another wrinkle as well - unlike other Apple products, the iPhone warranty is not worldwide. iPhone service can only be obtained in the country where the iPhone was purchased.

Moving to USA, bought iphone in Japan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.