Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Risks of TC not being primary router

I am replacing my TC after it suspiciously crashed after installing the new firmware.

I have a cable modem and an older DLink router from which my TC is attached (because of the home office configuration I can't have the TC be the main router). I also have a second wireless router to support by Vonage line.

I was told by an Apple Support Level 1 that I shouldn't use TC at the far end of the network because my TM backup data will be sent from the wireless connection inside the TC back up to the DLink router and then back down. Does that make sense?

If I cannot swap the router, should I not use TC as wireless device? Should I use a hard-wired connection for backups?

Thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.6), using Windows XP via VM Fusion

Posted on Mar 11, 2009 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2009 11:50 AM

Use TC as a client "Join a wireless network".

If the TC is a client on the same network as your Mac, your Mac will talk to it directly.
4 replies

Mar 13, 2009 11:51 AM in response to dchao99

"If the TC is a client on the same network as your Mac, your Mac will talk to it directly. "

All traffic is managed by the router. No traffic exclusively gets exchanged peer to peer with out going thru the router. To prove this...setup a peer to peer file transfer while being part of a home network and start a file transmission...during the transmission...turn off your router...your transmission will stop.

Risks of TC not being primary router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.