Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! Uninstall McAfee VirusScan for Mac Version 8.6.1 (360)

Mcafee is making my MacBook really slow. Please help, I need to know how to uninstall this crappy software! I tried searching mcafee's website with no luck. Please help!!!

FA701LL/A, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Mar 11, 2009 5:52 PM

5 replies

Mar 11, 2009 6:01 PM in response to zogdog602

If it did not come with an uninstaller, then just drag the app to the trash. Use Spotlight to delete any straggler files. Or use AppCleaner which is free.

Try posting in McAfee's forums for help since it's their product & not Apple's.

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/forumdisplay.php?s=b5b3b7c3b5a9c64a0cac4e8d713b4a01 &f=134

Have you considered updating your os? Could be the reason why you are having issues.

Mar 14, 2009 2:29 PM in response to CMCSK

You need to download the uninstaller script from McAfee, dragging the application to the trash won't help.

I just went through the same pain. McAfee VirusScan for Mac version 8.6.1 made my systems lock up since by default it enables on access scanning. And guess what happens when time machine kicks in and connects to a time capsule? Deadlock. Spinning ball-o-death.

Update: Even after disabling on access scanning both the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air I have were unusable until I uninstalled McAfee. Once time machine kicked in, the system would lock up and I would have to hard power cycle to recover. Not good.

I opened a support ticket with McAfee, but I've already decided to uninstall this crap and get my money back. They obviously didn't test this product very well.

Message was edited by: seventhirteen

Message was edited by: seventhirteen

Mar 14, 2009 2:27 PM in response to zogdog602

Check the help from Virusscan. There are instructions for uninstalling;

You can uninstall VirusScan by using an uninstall file (VirusScan Uninstall.command), either on the product CD, or in the installation .ZIP file downloaded from the McAfee website

What worked for me was

Drag the VirusScan VirusScan Uninstall.command icon, drop it in the Terminal window and press Enter.

Apr 16, 2009 9:41 PM in response to zogdog602

Just a note on uninstalling McAfee VirusScan 8.6 for Mac:

Running the uninstaller command is the only way to uninstall this piece of $--- program. It comes with the program when you download it. (You can do so here: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10355)

It took me an hour to figure out, but if your password on your computer is blank, the uninstaller.command will not run. It will "permission denied" you. You must go to Apple:Sys Prefs: Accounts and change your user password to something with letters!

Only then will the terminal program be allowed to run and only then can you get this useless, memory-eating program out of your life forever.

May 30, 2009 10:14 AM in response to guitarguitar41

I had no luck going to that page.

Try this one instead: https://secure.nai.com/apps/downloads/free_evaluations/survey.asp?type=d&prodid= 3405&mktg=ESD506&bu=McAfee&region=us&segment=small

You'll have to create an account with McAfee first. This is incredibly infuriating. They should be sued by the FTC or electronic consumers' groups for their software runaround just to uninstall the crappy service.

Good luck.

HELP! Uninstall McAfee VirusScan for Mac Version 8.6.1 (360)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.