Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Help Setting-up Guest Network on New Time Machine

I have my new Time Capsule all set-up and running great. Only problem is that I cannot find where to set-up guest networking. One of the reasons I got this was to allow clients to be able to use our wi-fi for internet while in the studio but not be able to get to our network servers. Where is this setting in the AirPort Utility? I have looked and looked and come up with nothing. Please help.

Airport Utlity 5.4.1 and Time Machine V 7.4.1

Dual Band Time Capsule, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Airport Utlity 5.4.1 and Time Machine V 7.4.1

Posted on Mar 12, 2009 12:01 PM

11 replies

Mar 13, 2009 8:39 AM in response to Matthew Pendergraff

I believe the TC2 needs to be functioning as your router with DHCP working (share an IP address). If you are running is in "bridged mode" I don't think you can have the guest wireless.

This makes sense since what the TC2 does is assign an alternate IP address range to the guest network to help create the separate from your primary network. I it isn't the router (assigning addresses via DHCP) then it can't create the separate network.

Mar 13, 2009 8:45 AM in response to TEMc

Yes, I already read that, but as far as I can tell my TC is already configured as a router with DHCP and sharing IP address. Apple really dropped the ball here, as they provide no information on this. Even if my settings are incompatible with this feature, they should provide instructions.

If you think I might have my TC configured differently I'd be happy to check, if you provide instructions on where and what to look for.

Message was edited by: Walter A.

Apr 3, 2009 3:21 PM in response to tracydchicago

The option is either going to be available or not depending on how your TC is configured for it's connection. The standard config calls for the TC to be your gateway to the Internet (via a dsl/cable modem), and sharing a public IP address using DHCP/NAT. If your settings don't reflect that, the TC will not even show the Guest Network tab.

Try setting up the TC's Internet tab with either Connect Using: Ethernet or PPoE, Configure IPv4: using DHCP or Manually using your ISP-provided IP address, and Connection Sharing: Share a public IP address. Once you have Updated the TC's config, go back and check for Guest Network under the "AirPort" tab in AirPort Utility.

Need Help Setting-up Guest Network on New Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.