Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing to iMovie and video formats supported

I'm new to iMovie, and I'm still running '08, and I don't know what video formats are supported. I ripped a home video DVD using HandBrake and found out that iMovie 08 doesn't support .m4v. I tried saving it as a Quicktime Movie file with Quicktime Pro, but iMovie still wouldn't import. Can anyone tell what I can do because I really want to edit my video and burn it on more discs for the rest of my family. So, any help on what formats are supported and what I can do to import my video to iMovie is what I would like help with, please.Thanks for any help.

Message was edited by: Warheart1188

20-inch iMac (2.4 GHz), 250 GB HDD, 2GB DDR RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 12, 2009 1:39 PM

2 replies

Mar 12, 2009 1:48 PM in response to Warheart1188

Check out the iMovie 08 discussion group. You will find a lot of knowledgeable people there.

iMovie will import h.264 (m4v), but it will not import extra tracks such as closed caption tracks, tween tracks, chapter tracks, etc. Make sure handbrake is including these.

You can go into QuickTime Pro and remove extra tracks.

Sometimes, people have reported that simply renaming your m4v file as an .mov file will make it importable. Not sure if this will work in your case.

Importing to iMovie and video formats supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.