Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movies won't encode...please help

I'm working on a project in iDVD that involves many videos, many submenus and buttons, and menus with video/picture backgrounds and menu music. In short, a fancy, big project. Overall, I probably have about over an hour of video. I try to burn the project or even save it as an image but when it gets to encoding the video, I get an error messaging saying "There was an error encoding the movie". I don't know what could be wrong. I checked the DVD map and saw that there wasn't any errors with the videos, all of the videos/music/photos were put on my computer by me so thy're not protected and they're all compatible with iDVD. If anyone could help, please, it would be appreciated so much.

20-inch iMac (2.4 GHz), 250 GB HDD, 2GB DDR RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 12, 2009 9:43 PM

4 replies

Mar 13, 2009 12:25 AM in response to Warheart1188

Hi

a. How much free space on the internal boot hard disk ?

I set for a minimum of 25Gb when ready to burn.
(Other hard disks of no intrest)

b. Trash the iDVD pref file and have a new try

named . com.apple.iDVD.plist
• Stop iDVD
• Search it (.plist file) and move it to desktop
• then start iDVD again (has to not be running during pref file move)

Yours Bengt W

Mar 14, 2009 8:58 AM in response to Warheart1188

Hi

• Delete iDVD pref file - *or rather start a new user/account* - log into this and re-try

*iDVD pref file resides.* Mac Hard Disk (start-up HD)/Users/"Your account"/Library/Preferences and is named.
com.apple.iDVD.plist
While iDVD is NOT RUNNING - move this file out to desk-top.
Now restart iDVD.

But still easiest and most effective is to go to Apple menu and down to
System preferences
Here select Accounts and create a new one.

Yours Bengt W

Apr 27, 2009 8:31 PM in response to Warheart1188

i had a similar problem, it turned out the issue was the format of the video that i was using (mainly the sound quality). you might want to try to run the video/audio through IMOVIE. go to SHARE, go to EXPORT USING QUICKTIME, go to EXPORT, then choose the best setting for the IDVD that you our making (most liking quicktime), then replace the old video's with the new one's from IMOVIE and it should work, it might take awhile (1 hour-1.5 hour) altogether. but the final product is awesome. my family and friends swear i had the video's professionally done.

Movies won't encode...please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.