Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cinema display goes black upon resolution change in Windows XP

Greetings
Earlier today, I updated my ATI X1600 Radeon to the latest Windows Catalyst drivers and to the Catalyst Control Center from ATI. Even since, whenever a Windows application (games, in this case) tries to change the resolution on my external Apple Cinema Display (designated as the main monitor in the ATI Catalyst Control Center, with the MacBook Pro display disabled), the display goes black, and the monitor power lamp starts to flash.

If I unplug the external Cinema Display from my MacBook Pro, my MacBook Pro display activates, and displays whatever it is I was trying to launch, so the problems is somehow related to the Cinema Display, even if the new drivers are causing it.

This happens regardless of my Catalyst Control Center settings, such as scaling the lower resolution to fit the screen, or keeping it the original size, with black borders around. The problem does not occur when I launch games using 1600 x 1024, the Cinema Display's native resolution.

Any ideas what might be causing it, and how to resolve it?

MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Duo Core, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 2 GB of RAM, X1600 256mb, 120 GB 5400 RPM harddrive,

Posted on Mar 13, 2009 1:31 PM

3 replies

Mar 13, 2009 4:06 PM in response to Ayjona

Update on my situation: when I tried to change the resolution manually in Windows, I encountered the same problem. Now, whenever I connect the Cinema Display to my MacBook Pro, the same thing occurs: the screen goes black, and the power lamp starts flashing, even though I've changed back to 1600 x 1024.

Cinema display goes black upon resolution change in Windows XP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.