Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Matte vs. Anti-glare (What am I seeing here?) reposted on new MBP FORUM

I posted something similar by mistake on the original MacBook Pro discussion thread so I thought I'd repost it here to see if someone can further point me in the direction with a better explanation of the anti-glare option. I was in the Apple store today and saw two uni-body MBPro's, both 17". Both descriptions had anti-glare, but only one looked like it. In fact the one that had zero glare looked suspiciously like the original matte LCD screen. The glossy had the black trim around it and the "anti-glare" had a silver border around it - same as the rest of the uni-body construction. I find it hard to believe that what I saw was simply a "film" place over the glossy LCD, now standard on 15" MB Pro's. Is this "anti-glare" description just code for "we heard you all loud and clear - here's one with the original matte LCD"? Of course, the Apple tech was amazed when I pointed it out (do any of these guys notice these rather important details?) He also said something peculiar about the genius bar tech's pulling out the LCD gloss with a magnet? Can someone explain that one to me? My main question is: When I buy my 17" "anti-glare" MB Pro in a couple of months am I really getting the old matte LCD? Because if I am I would be THRILLED. I'd also really like some specs as well. Maybe a link to the apple website explaining everything? Thanks in advance for any help - and mucho appreciation to the guy who gave me the links earlier to the photos. However, I'd really like some sort of context and explanation. I think Apple owes us that much if we're happy to plunk down $3K.

G3 MacBook, G4 tower, G4 dual tower, iMac G5, iPhone (x2), iPod Classic, iPod Nano (x2), Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 13, 2009 9:08 PM

10 replies

Mar 13, 2009 9:19 PM in response to snapperchopper

What you saw is what you'll get — either the glossy, glass-covered display with the black border behind the glass, or the "anti-glare" matte display with the silver border in front of it. The latter is not the previous-generation matte display but a new one. Its matte finish seems to be about the same, though. It isn't a film placed over the gloss display.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP503

Mar 14, 2009 6:52 AM in response to Scott Radloff

Hi, Scott. No, I'm not absolutely certain. I wrote that on the basis of Apple's "60% greater gamut" advertising, and nothing else. "Greater than what?" one might well ask, and I'm not sure one could get an answer. My assumption has been that it means "greater than any previous MBP display," but I might be reading too much into it. There's no question that Apple leaves much to the imagination of the buyer.

Mar 14, 2009 10:04 AM in response to eww

eww,

My suspicion is that the standard glossy actually is a different, newer type of display. In fact, I think it is finally an 8-bit display that does away with the dithering that has been so contentious.

But the anti-glare display is the same as the "matte" of the previous generation. My suspicion is based on some very careful wording on the "tech specs" pages:
17-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors; optional antiglare display

Scott

Mar 14, 2009 11:06 AM in response to Scott Radloff

My assumptions are pretty much same and this remains unclear unless we have some comparision tests done, or any word from Apple.

Referring to Phillip Schiller's keynote '09, "...built the metal bezel around it...the same display properties for anti-glare as our last 17" notebook."

In my view, the word 'properties' clearly means panel's hardware specs not just the look of the panel.

Mar 14, 2009 1:24 PM in response to Farrukh

Scott and Raehan: I see your points, but I think we are all just guessing which words in Apple's publicity are significant and what they mean. I don't find either of your interpretations any more persuasive than my own, and any or all of us could easily be wrong.

Somewhere in one of these threads is a post in which someone figured out a way to determine (beyond what one can read from its color profile) who manufactured his display and what model it is. What we need is for people who own the new antiglare and the old matte display to use that method to identify the units in question.

Mar 15, 2009 11:40 AM in response to snapperchopper

I'm not a professional tech, nor do I play one on TV. I used the 15" matte for about a year, and now have the anti-glare 17 for about a month. What people like is subjective. I love the new screen. It seems different, as the old one seemed a little softer to the touch. I doubt they're the same.
But really, compare and buy accordingly. Other than my stated complaints with the mini-display port (something very wrong there) it is an incredible machine.

Matte vs. Anti-glare (What am I seeing here?) reposted on new MBP FORUM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.