Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

YouTube Excessively Slow

Over the past few weeks Youtube Videos have been excessively slow. I have a good cable connection to my Time Capsule. Every time I visit youtube the videos take an exceedingly long amount of time to download. Even for videos less than a minute long.

I can game on these connections although occasionally there are bits of connection/packet loss. So It's not a connection speed issue. Other websites are working great.

Why would this happen?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 14, 2009 1:05 PM

12 replies

Mar 15, 2009 9:38 PM in response to iVmichael

IVMichael, et al....
Thank for all the input and clues. 2135 hours here in AZ. Just got back from being out and about. And the speed problem with YouTube is gone. It appears that this is another weakness here in AZ of one of our local cable ISPs. Certain times of the day, some speed issues go down the toilet. I will test all night, and proceed. COX has been doing lots of work these days to improve their service. Last week a router blew and we had trouble in all of central and southern Arizona. So, I think they are learning as their customer base increases.

Onward and upward...

Mar 28, 2009 9:01 PM in response to corisan

Speaking as an IP network engineer, I don't think this is necessarily sound advice. First of all, an MTU of 500 should not be necessary on any production network in 2009 (or any year in the past decade for that matter). Second, YouTube downloads would be in the direction of YouTube->YourMac. The MTU value of even passing interest in that case would be the one sitting on the YouTube server (and, for that matter, the MTU value of every interface of every router along your Internet path, all of which I assure you are 1500 or better). What is the basis for giving this advice?

Mar 30, 2009 9:27 AM in response to gpotts

I've had some interesting problems with this Click-to-Flash thing. While the concept is wonderful, I noticed a very significant degradation in performance when I actually did click on Flash that I wanted to see. In doing some packet capture on my machine, I can see that in many cases I'm somehow getting two copies of the same feed simultaneously. Even when I'm not, the sluggishness can be and almost always is extreme. A simple 30-second video might now require five or more minutes to buffer up sufficiently over a 1.5 Mbps DSL line. I just upgraded to 0.4 RC1 and we'll see if things improve...

Apr 1, 2009 1:36 PM in response to svermill

Don't want to drive this too far OT, but just as a quick follow-up, after a few days of hoping against hope that .4 RC1 would solve all of my problems, I continued to need several minutes - sometimes approaching half an hour - just to buffer up low-res news clips of from one to five minutes. After removing Click-to-Flash I immediately began to experience expected performance for my given Internet connectivity. So I would advise caution wrt this promising little beta plug-in...

YouTube Excessively Slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.