Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac Mini can't send mail, but can receive

Just received my new Mac Mini the other day but have had problems sending mail. I can receive mail, but cannot send at all. I believe I have all of my settings correct. What can I do, it's very frustrating.

rskover

Mac Mini 2 GHz intel core duo, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 14, 2009 5:39 PM

15 replies

Mar 14, 2009 8:52 PM in response to Richard Skover1

Hard to say. Do you have another computer with a working email installation that you can double check your settings? Is there a web page offered by your email provider that tells you all the information you need?

What was your previous computer? Could you send mail from this location on the previous computer?

Right now, there is not enough information provided here that anyone could use to begin to help you. I think it would be helpful if you could provide what are your current smtp account settings. smtp server name, smtp port number, whether using SSL or not, type of authentication for smtp server, is the account offered by your ISP or third party, and who is your ISP.

Mar 15, 2009 8:06 AM in response to j.v.

Yes have another computer that I'm replacing with the Mini. DUAL 1GHZ POWERPC G4- 1.5 GB RAM. Was able to start up off of that one and had no trouble sending and receiving email on that computer with the same settings.

Started up the Mini this morning and can't receive OR send today.

Incoming: pop-server.wi.rr.com
out going: smtp-server.wi.rr.com
Tried ssl checked and unchecked
default ports (25,465,587)
authentication: none
service provider: Time Warner Cable-RoadRunner

Is it possible to reinstall mail by itself to start all over again?
I've temporarily downloaded Thunderbird and it seems to send and receive mail just fine, but I prefer Mail.

Thanks,

rskover

Mar 15, 2009 10:31 AM in response to Richard Skover1

One thing is for sure, I didn't find Roadrunner's http://help.rr.com/HMSLogic/emailhelptopic.aspx to be very helpful.

For the heck of it, for outgoing mail port, try custom port instead of default port and enter 25, 465, or 587 singly each one at a time and see if that buys you anything. If they use SSL (and that wasn't apparent to me from their help page whether they do or not) you would likely want to try username/password authentication for smtp.

Also, you might take a peek in Keychain Access and delete any existing entries that pertain to anything wi.rr.com. Mail would then re-prompt you for that account login information when it attempts to connect to the smtp or pop servers.

If the old computer was Leopard, have you tried copying over your $HOME/Library/Mail and $HOME/Library/Mail Downloads folders and your $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist file to the new computer?

Have you called the ISP and told them that the old computer works fine and the new computer with identical account settings doesn't and that you would like to doublecheck with them the account settings (type of account is POP? what is POP port?, what is SMTP port? verify pop and smtp server names, using SSL on POP? On SMTP? Do they use password authentication on SMTP? (If they use "None" that implies they use the WAN IP address to authenticate -- if its one of theirs, your good)

I don't think reinstalling Mail will gain you anything.

At least we know who the ISP and mail provider is, maybe another user/helper that has the same provider can weigh in here. I do not use rr.com so any other advice from me at this point would be like drawing random straws.

Apr 26, 2009 5:32 PM in response to LoriChriz

This happens to me intermittently.

I always call my ISP as generally there is something going on with their server configurations. Occasionally they seem to muck around with their servers for outgoing mail.

If the first level of technical support isn't helpful, I politely ask to go up the food chain until I reach a competent tech who is conversant with the Mac OS who tinkers around with the settings -- there are also ways they check the connection on their end.

I have never failed to get on-line although sometimes it's a bit tiresome -- but dealing with any form of tech support generally is.

Apr 27, 2009 12:08 PM in response to Richard Skover1

Here's my latest dilemma with a little background.
• I used migration assistant to transfer files from G4 with 10.4.1.1 to Mini
• this created a new user on the mini
• while I'm logged on as the new (former G4) user (also an admin), I can't access or send mail through Mail
• when I log on as the main admin user, I can access and send mail through Mail
• Mail settings/preferences are exactly the same for both users
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Apr 27, 2009 6:28 PM in response to Richard Skover1

I hope I am not stating the obvious, but have you considered setting up a google account for free and seeing whether their smtp server works?

This way you could check whether the problem really is your software or whether there might be an issue with the configuration. It shouldn't take you more than 20 mins to set up:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13275 (just remember to enable it in google too).

You might even be able to use the smtp server of google or some other free provider to send email from your regular address.

Apr 28, 2009 8:18 AM in response to Jan UK

Jan UK,

+You might even be able to use the smtp server of google or some other free provider to send email from your regular address.+
This has privacy implications, since your [agreement with Google|https://www.google.com/accounts/TOS?hl=en] (see Section 11) gives them copyright. Free? TAANSTAAFL.

Richard has an SMTP configuration issue with his ISP.

[The Roadrunner SMTP settings for Milwaukee|http://help.rr.com/HMSFaqs/e_SmtpAuth.aspx?Topic=E-mail#macmail]:
+Make sure the Outgoing Mail Server: is set to smtp-server.wi.rr.com+
+Select Password from the Authentication: drop-down box.+
+Type your e-mail in the User Name: field.+

If he's elsewhere in Wisconsin, he'd need to substitute new for wi in the settings.

_*Roadrunner uses password authentication for SMTP.*_

-Wayne

New Mac Mini can't send mail, but can receive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.