Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crackle and pop in bounced audio

I've a problem that has persisted ever since I switched to Logic Pro 8, and that baffles me completely. Often when I bounce audio projects, the resulting mp3 has some few but very annoying crackles and pops in them. While I know that crackles and pops are common during the recording process (latency, I/O buffer, airport activated, etc), this problem occurs even when the logic project is *completely crackle-free*.

I've tried both offline and realtime bouncing, and they yield the same results. This happens in both complex projects, such as many-track songs with multiple demanding effects, and the simplest ones, such as two acoustic guitar tracks with no effects whatsoever.

Any ideas what could be causing this problem?

MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Duo Core, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 2 GB of RAM, X1600 256mb, 120 GB 5400 RPM harddrive,

Posted on Mar 14, 2009 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2009 10:41 PM

Since you say that this happens even when you bounce mixes with tracks having no effects, I don't know what to say. I was thinking though, before you said that that it could be a result of using third party plugins.

I have only experienced crackles/pops during tracking, mixing and bouncing when I was employing Vintage Warmer 2 as an insert on channel strips. The solution was to employ Vintage Warmer LE instead of VW2.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2009 10:41 PM in response to Ayjona

Since you say that this happens even when you bounce mixes with tracks having no effects, I don't know what to say. I was thinking though, before you said that that it could be a result of using third party plugins.

I have only experienced crackles/pops during tracking, mixing and bouncing when I was employing Vintage Warmer 2 as an insert on channel strips. The solution was to employ Vintage Warmer LE instead of VW2.

Mar 15, 2009 2:12 AM in response to Ayjona

That is an odd thing - especially when the unbonced project is playing fine.

Do you get this in all file formats? Just bounce out PCM (AIFF), AAC and MP3 simultaneously and check.
And does it change when you choose a different samplefrequency for the bounce?
Another standard action (in unclear situations like this) is to renew the preferences.
0. Export your custom Key Commands (if you have any) from the Key Command window
1. Quit Logic.
2. Find the file com.apple.logic.pro.plist here: 'yourdisk'/Users/'you'/Library/Preferences/
3. Drag it to the Desktop
4. Start Logic. It'll create a fresh .plist file. Now see if your problem is gone or not. If it is, you can trash the .plist file on the desktop. If it isn't, you can quit Logic and put the old .plist file back if you want.

regards, Erik.

Mar 18, 2009 11:42 AM in response to Eriksimon

Bouncing to all the different file formats yielded the same result: they all contained the crackling sounds.

However, after deleting the Logic settings file, I've been unable to replicate the problem! I've no idea what nasty setting or corrupted information the preference file contained, but for the time being, I can bounce my projects just fine!

Here's to the hope that it stays this way.

Thanks for helping me resolve this rather extreme hindrance in my recording ambitions, Erik! And thanks for your input, Franz.

Crackle and pop in bounced audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.