2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2009 11:58 AM by nabilalk
nabilalk Level 1 (20 points)
I have heard that toggling on shuffle and repeat all will kill the iPod battery because the shuffle forces the iPod hard drive to work over-time. Can anyone confirm this? Apple boasts a 15 hr music playback with presumably no backlight and shuffle/repeat all set to off. How much should shuffle and repeat all affect the battery life that I am getting out of my iPod photo?

Powerbook G4 12 inch/DELL DIMENSION 4600, Mac OS X (10.4.8), 100 GB HD, Superdrive, 1.25 GB RAM
  • Jeff Bryan Level 9 (61,790 points)
    nabilalk wrote:
    I have heard that toggling on shuffle and repeat all will kill the iPod battery because the shuffle forces the iPod hard drive to work over-time.

Correct. If you have shuffle turned on, the iPod has to spin up the hard drive to locate and play the songs.

How much should shuffle and repeat all affect the battery life that I am getting out of my iPod photo?

Quite significantly I should think because spinning up the hd uses a great deal of the battery power.
  • nabilalk Level 1 (20 points)
    Hi, thanks for the concise response. So if the normal battery life with no backlight is 15 hrs, how much would you say the shuffle should affect the iPod photo battery, in relative hours?