Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Epson vs HP paper - BIG difference

Printing on EPSON "Premium Glossy Photo Paper" results in significantly wahed down skin tones. This doesn't happen with HP Plus Premium Glossy Photo Paper. Experimented with 2 different photos and same manipulation. Could it be that I'm printing in a HP 5650?

Any ideas on how to correct this? I just bought a 100 pack (4x6) of the EPSON paper 😟 [on sale though :)]

Many thanks for any input.

Jacobo

Posted on Jul 29, 2005 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2005 10:17 AM

I'm not surprised since the manufacturers taylor their inks to their paper. As a workaround till you use up that paper you can try a couple of fixes that are located in the Advanced section of the Print dialogue window:

1 - in the ColorSync section you can try the Lightness decrease Quartz filter or
2 - in the Color Options section you can experiment with the various adjustments available. Try ColorSync instead of the printer's setting in the Color Correction drop down menu. Then there's the individual settings below that.

Additionally I would stick with the manufactures replacement cartridges and avoid 3rd party cartridges.

Hope this has been of some help. Good luck.
OT
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2005 10:17 AM in response to Jacobo

I'm not surprised since the manufacturers taylor their inks to their paper. As a workaround till you use up that paper you can try a couple of fixes that are located in the Advanced section of the Print dialogue window:

1 - in the ColorSync section you can try the Lightness decrease Quartz filter or
2 - in the Color Options section you can experiment with the various adjustments available. Try ColorSync instead of the printer's setting in the Color Correction drop down menu. Then there's the individual settings below that.

Additionally I would stick with the manufactures replacement cartridges and avoid 3rd party cartridges.

Hope this has been of some help. Good luck.
OT

Aug 3, 2005 12:13 PM in response to Jacobo

Kodak also makes a great paper as well the Kodeak Ultra Glossy or soemthing to that affect..

If you ever get to a computer store that has a lot of demo printers ask the sales person if you can grab a sheet of each brand of the paper in the demo printers to take home and try. Sometimes they let you and you can then see the differences.

Oct 30, 2005 8:03 AM in response to Jacobo

I'm happy with the Epson Glossy Photo Paper and Epson printer. Prints look like lab prints, except when you examine the reflectivity of the inks in glare.

Nov 1, 2005 12:53 PM in response to Jacobo

Yes!

I've had both Epson and now an HP inkjet printer. Neither was an expensive model, but it's been my experience that it does not generally pay to mix brands and their supplies (ink or paper).

In other words, in general you should stick with HP paper for photos if your printer is an HP. It's even more important to stick with their inks.

The same would be true for another brand. They were designed to work with each other. I've tried–foolishly–in the past to use cheaper inks and miscellaneous paper on had and have been generally disappointed.

The one exception to this is if you are producing a card, or doing something else where you require a particular paper stock. Then you simply need to experiment. But with photos, it's especially tricky to substitute paper stock.

Also, make sure your printer heads are clean and calibrated correctly, and that you print at a "good" or higher quality. You should have a box to address these and paper issues in your software.

Good luck, Salmagal

Epson vs HP paper - BIG difference

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.