Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monitor

I have an iMac 24". I have a second monitor hooked up using the dvi adaptor and use it to expand my desktop when editing with FCP. I also have a third monitor hooked up using the firewire to a mini dv deck to an SD monitor to see my image from the canvas full screen. But now I want HD full screen on the monitor.

Now how could I see my image full screen in HD on a monitor without losing my second monitor with the desktop? I know I can use a dvi to hdmi to an HDTV, but then I lose the second monitor that uses the dvi out and it wouldn't be full screen.

How can I run three monitors, one being the extension of the desktop and the third one being the FCP canvas in true HD?

iMac 2.8GHZ INTEL CORE 2 EXTREME, Mac OS X (10.5.2), 4GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Mar 16, 2009 9:24 AM

1 reply

Mar 16, 2009 12:31 PM in response to D10S

You would have to use the HD version of the solution you currently use through FireWire, if such a system exists.

An iMac has the built-in display, plus a port for a second display. There is no direct way to add a third +extended desktop+ display.

You could use Spaces. Use your current second display as the +HD full screen+ display. Use your iMac display for your FCP windows and controls. Or you can reverse those two functions and put the Menu Bar and Dock (and the FCP stuff) on the second display and use the iMac's display for the +HD full screen+. THEN, set up Spaces so that you can easily jump to a second space to do whatever else you want to do. You can set up even more spaces, each for a separate function. I have set Control-Arrow (left or right) as my toggle on the keyboard to quickly switch between spaces.

I actually have a third display on my iMac, but my third display is projected onto the screen of an old PC laptop (running Ubuntu Linux) using this clever software called ScreenRecycler

http://www.screenrecycler.com/home.html

Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.