12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2009 2:07 PM by baltwo
ljmahle Level 1 (0 points)
I like Leopard at home but at work on our network Leopard does not play well. I have a dual 3.2 Quad Core. Can I do a format and start with a fresh install of Tiger?

G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • baltwo Level 9 (62,215 points)
    Not if that machine came with Leopard. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2681 for details.
  • V.K. Level 9 (56,110 points)
    ljmahle wrote:
    I like Leopard at home but at work on our network Leopard does not play well. I have a dual 3.2 Quad Core. Can I do a format and start with a fresh install of Tiger?

no. first, there were never any retail tiger disks that would work on intel macs. the only retail tiger disks were PPC only. there are only hardware specific tiger disks that came with new intel macs before leopard was released. even if you get hold of such disks they will not work on your computer.
  • Strontium90 Level 4 (3,860 points)
    The short answer is no. The long answer is a qualified maybe. However, the experience would not be pleasurable as proper driver support is absent in Tiger for the hardware.

Hope this helps
  • Allan Eckert Level 9 (50,741 points)
    Hi ljmahle;

The simple solution is fix the network at work so that you can use Leopard.

Allan
    tiger
  • ljmahle Level 1 (0 points)
    I wish I would have thought of that. The IT people at work cringe at the mention of MAC.
  • nerowolfe Level 6 (13,065 points)
    ljmahle wrote:
    I wish I would have thought of that. The IT people at work cringe at the mention of MAC.

Perhaps that's because they really don't understand computers. A real IT person is at home with every computer and every OS. If your IT people cringe at a Mac, that means that they don't understand Unix and that's a shame.
    There must be one of them that is willing to work with you.
    The alternative is to install Winders on your Mac. That they will understand and you can smile at them with your dual boot computer that runs both Leopard and Winders.
    Hi nerowolfe;

Personally I see the installing of winders solution as a bit like cutting your nose of to spite your face. I like fixing the network better because it must be hosed to cause Leopard not to work. I actually think that solution would actually be an improvement for everyone.

Allan
    tiger
    I do have windows on my mac via parallels, I absolutely hated doing it but that is how I have to get around some of the things I could not get around on mac only.
    Without details on your Leopard issues at work, most responders are at a loss to offer anything cogent.
    My question was answered. I can not wipe my machine clean and go back to Tiger until my IT department decides to embrace the fact that the graphics departments within our company use MAC's and always will. All was well with Tiger and our network or at least we had worked through all of the issues we had and then me and the guy I work with got new machines with Leopard on them. We have one guy in IT that claims to be the go to MAC guy but sometimes I wonder, seems my partner and I know more about MAC's than the IT department but our suggestions when we give them do not seem to be welcome. Thanks for the answers.
    Hi ljmahle;

You have my deepest sympathies. Working with those who think they know can be painful.

Maybe a departmental LAN for graphics with one PC connected to rest of the world might be a better solution for you.

Allan
    tiger
    Thanks for the feedback. Do note, however, your statement +I cannot wipe my machine clean and go back to Tiger until my IT department decides to embrace the fact that the graphics departments within our company use MAC's and always will.+ isn't doable. You can't go to Tiger with the new machines. Do note that if you'd provide the stumbling blocks you're experiencing with Leopard, others might have solutions.