Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I Wipe a new machine that came with Leopard and install Tiger

I like Leopard at home but at work on our network Leopard does not play well. I have a dual 3.2 Quad Core. Can I do a format and start with a fresh install of Tiger?

G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 16, 2009 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2009 5:28 PM

Not if that machine came with Leopard. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2681 for details.
12 replies

Mar 16, 2009 5:31 PM in response to ljmahle

ljmahle wrote:
I like Leopard at home but at work on our network Leopard does not play well. I have a dual 3.2 Quad Core. Can I do a format and start with a fresh install of Tiger?

no. first, there were never any retail tiger disks that would work on intel macs. the only retail tiger disks were PPC only. there are only hardware specific tiger disks that came with new intel macs before leopard was released. even if you get hold of such disks they will not work on your computer.

Mar 17, 2009 8:27 AM in response to ljmahle

ljmahle wrote:
I wish I would have thought of that. The IT people at work cringe at the mention of MAC.

Perhaps that's because they really don't understand computers. A real IT person is at home with every computer and every OS. If your IT people cringe at a Mac, that means that they don't understand Unix and that's a shame.
There must be one of them that is willing to work with you.
The alternative is to install Winders on your Mac. That they will understand and you can smile at them with your dual boot computer that runs both Leopard and Winders.

Mar 17, 2009 1:46 PM in response to baltwo

My question was answered. I can not wipe my machine clean and go back to Tiger until my IT department decides to embrace the fact that the graphics departments within our company use MAC's and always will. All was well with Tiger and our network or at least we had worked through all of the issues we had and then me and the guy I work with got new machines with Leopard on them. We have one guy in IT that claims to be the go to MAC guy but sometimes I wonder, seems my partner and I know more about MAC's than the IT department but our suggestions when we give them do not seem to be welcome. Thanks for the answers.

Mar 17, 2009 2:07 PM in response to ljmahle

Thanks for the feedback. Do note, however, your statement +I cannot wipe my machine clean and go back to Tiger until my IT department decides to embrace the fact that the graphics departments within our company use MAC's and always will.+ isn't doable. You can't go to Tiger with the new machines. Do note that if you'd provide the stumbling blocks you're experiencing with Leopard, others might have solutions.

Can I Wipe a new machine that came with Leopard and install Tiger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.