Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to load my iPhone with random songs from my library?

Question - can I get iTunes to fill my iPhone with completely random songs from my music library? I only have 16gb on the iPhone but about 60gb of music to choose from. I just want iTunes to select random tracks and fill up the iPhone. Is this possible? Thanks!

Windows Vista, 16GB iPhone

Posted on Mar 17, 2009 6:28 AM

5 replies

Mar 17, 2009 6:33 AM in response to Mean Reltner

In iTunes, choose File menu > New Smart Playlist. Deselect the Match rule option, set it to Limit to however much music you want (e.g. set the first popup to GB, perhaps 10 GB if you have a 16 GB iPhone and also want to store videos/pics/apps), and set the selected by popup to Random.

Then, with the iPhone connected and selected in the devices list, on the Music tab set it to sync just that playlist you created.

There may be other ways to do this, the above was just the first that came to mind.

EDIT: I like Randy's solution!

how to load my iPhone with random songs from my library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.