Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving from AP Graphite to Extreme (TC)

I'm about to replace my AP graphite with a Time Capsule. Will I be able to simply integrate into (adopt) my existing network name, etc. Or, if I have to define a new network, can I set it up while the old one is running? Or, should I switch off the old network and then set up the TC?

JB

Message was edited by: John Bevan

Macbook, iMac 2.8 (new), Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 17, 2009 6:25 PM

2 replies

Mar 17, 2009 9:30 PM in response to John Bevan

I replaced my Graphite with a Time Capsule in 2008. The TC, so far as I know, cannot simply adopt the old network name and settings, but setting it up is easy. I see no reason to keep the Graphite running while you do it.

As I recall, once I hooked up the TC, powered it on, and launched AirPort Utility (note: not the AirPort Admin Utility used with the Graphite), the AirPort Utility found the TC wirelessly and guided me through a straightforward setup.

One big advantage of the TC over the Graphite is that the TC can use WPA and/or WPA2 encryption, while the Graphite is limited to the insecure WEP protocol. You wouldn't want to adopt the existing network settings without making this change afterwards, which would require the computers to log in anew, so there really would not be much advantage to adopting the old settings even if the TC could do so.

Moving from AP Graphite to Extreme (TC)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.