Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro experiencing shutdowns during graphic-intensive games

For the last weeks, my MacBook Pro has acquired the habit of shutting itself down when I play very graphics-intense games in windows.

The shutdowns occur after reasonably regular intervals within each game (such as Fallen Earth running for 10-20 minutes before they occur, while Fallout 3 run for 30-50 minutes before the computer shuts itself down).

The most obvious explanation seem to be overheating, and indeed, my MBP runs very, very hot when these shutdowns occur. I used to have this problem a year ago, when I insisted on the silly habit of playing in closed-lid mode (with a cinema display connected to the MBP), thus blocking the upper vents and hindering heat dissipation, but ever since I started using my MBP with the lid open, I haven't had any problems, until now.

My MBP rests on a normal surface, with nothing blocking or obstructing it in any way. All the games in which I experience the shutdowns, I've played for quite some time, with the laptop situated in the same spot, and never had any of these problems before.

Any ideas as to what might be causing the shutdowns (heat buildup, faulty memory, etc), and how to resolve them?

MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Duo Core, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 2 GB of RAM, X1600 256mb, 120 GB 5400 RPM harddrive,

Posted on Mar 17, 2009 5:55 PM

1 reply

MacBook Pro experiencing shutdowns during graphic-intensive games

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.