Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backups? Archiving?

I'm finally getting around to putting all of my DV to DVD. But, once it's on my one DVD copy, I'd like to back up the digital media files too. So, if I want, I can create a new DVD later. So, I want to backup my edited clips -- I assume those are smaller than the raw DV files in Movies/iMovie Events.localized.

Anyone know a good way to do this? Or, should I just backup the SUPER HUGE events?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

iMac & Mac Book Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 18, 2009 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2009 12:44 AM

iM08 stores your projects in two ways:
the Events = imports = huge files
and the Projects = a 'list' of advices ('take 4secs of this clip, take 11sec of this clip, add title, ...') = small files

but..
you need BOTH files for a 'video'.

your options:
HDD is actual cheap.. 1TB (=~80h of dv, ~50h HiDef) = 100€

or..
for sure you can create copies of your DVDs (with Mac's DiskUtility), no need to keep the iM files... so, keep a 'master' DVD in some dry&cozy place, and if you need copies later.. copy it 😉
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2009 12:44 AM in response to CodeMonk

iM08 stores your projects in two ways:
the Events = imports = huge files
and the Projects = a 'list' of advices ('take 4secs of this clip, take 11sec of this clip, add title, ...') = small files

but..
you need BOTH files for a 'video'.

your options:
HDD is actual cheap.. 1TB (=~80h of dv, ~50h HiDef) = 100€

or..
for sure you can create copies of your DVDs (with Mac's DiskUtility), no need to keep the iM files... so, keep a 'master' DVD in some dry&cozy place, and if you need copies later.. copy it 😉

Mar 19, 2009 4:51 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Now that I can definitely read in data from a DVD, thanks to your other answer, backing up the DVD itself (or just making an ISO) should work fine for me!

The DVD in question that is giving me trouble is a DL one. They're very expensive to use as backup media, so I'm going to just make an ISO, and split it across a couple of DVD's for backup.

Backups? Archiving?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.