Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAIL won't quite or attach files

Dear Apple Users and support,

I've noticed the last few months that everytime I try to QUIT mail it won't shut down. It operates as if I never told it to Quit. It just sits there, and so I have to FORCE QUIT it just about 90% of the time. Is there a way to fix this?

Also, I just noticed this past week, I can no longer attach files to my New Mails. This is a huge issue! what could be the problem and how can I address and repair this issue?

Thank you for any recommendations and help!

PowerBookG4 15'', Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 19, 2009 3:52 PM

3 replies

Mar 30, 2009 4:46 AM in response to Tomio Toyama

Had similar problem since buying new MacBook Pro last December and moving all my files from previous PowerBook. May have solved problem today by checking in Console utility; found repeated messages from Mail stating a problem reading the AvailableFeeds file in my Home folder under Library/Mail (your-username/library/mail/AvailableFeeds). This may not apply to everyone, but the point is to check the Console utility for your specific messages from Mail App. I removed the abovementioned file, quit Mail and restarted: and so far Mail is working without crashing, including when attaching files to messages, for the first time since I migrated to my new MacBook.

Message was edited by: Krlos

Message was edited by: Krlos

May 29, 2009 11:29 PM in response to Tomio Toyama

hi everyone,
had the same problem. was downloading mail and opened a file attachment that i didn't want to. my cpu activity went through the roof and the fans also. so, i trashed the message to quit the opening. and the mail app got stuck and wouldn't quit. had to use "force quit". red some feeds here and:
1 in "disc utility" repaired permissions several times - no success
2 trashed "user/library/preferences/com.apple.mail.plist" . emptied the trash bin and rebooted- several times. during rebooting zapped the pram too. - no success
3 trashed "user/library/mail/availablefeeds" and bingo!!!
mail quits now without problem.. the only problem i had that upon the restart the cpu usage was still very high and fans running without any app open. got permissions repaired again and restarted. mail app quits wonderfully. my system activity is still very high and fans running.
4 found this article here and it seems it did the trick: "http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2537"
with that said, I guess that these mail problems we write here about may be caused by downloading corrupted files... or maybe some kind of mac virus? scary thought. good luck.

MAIL won't quite or attach files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.