Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset Network settings to default

I want to reset my network settings to the way they were when the computer was new. I think all this involves is deleting a .plst file? I am not sure. Can anyone provide me with step by step directions.

IMAC, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 19, 2009 7:59 PM

12 replies

Mar 19, 2009 10:28 PM in response to Kappy

It did not work. I tried deleting com.apple.NetworkUtility.plist and I am still connecting to the internet. Then I tried com.apple.airportutility.plist (I could not find the one that you said airport.preferences) and then I tried com.apple.preference.internet.xxxxxxxxxx.plist. None of this worked. I am still connected to the internet with my old configuration. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Mar 21, 2009 8:46 AM in response to baltwo

The reason I want to reset it is because I think I accidentally deleted the automatic option in the locations area. What I would like to do is just go into edit locations and choose automatic but that option is not there. I just have one location in the edit locations box and I can't delete one location. At least it does not give me the option to delete the one location. Would resetting it bring back the Automatic option or because I deleted that does that mean I can't get that back?

Reset Network settings to default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.