Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Office 2008 for MAC Compatibility

My wife and I are MAC users at home and new at it.

Both our work places use PCs and Office 2003.

Does anyone know the compatibility of Office 2008 for MAC and 2003, both in usage and in file types.

Or.....would iworks '08 be a better solution. The main concern is the usage, I think, trying to relearn a software then have it compatible is one thing, but knowing the software and it being compatible is totaly another.

Thanks in advance
raday

macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Mar 20, 2009 5:53 AM

4 replies

Mar 20, 2009 6:14 AM in response to raday

Hey there,
Compatibility shouldn't be too much of an issue. The only thing you should keep in mind is that when you are at home and create a document for work, to save it in the 97-2004 format so you can use it at work. This format should be a *.doc format. The newer versions of Office will read the older format with no problems.

Otherwise, there should be no issues using Office between a Mac and PC because I do it all the time. It is compatible across the board.

Since you already know Office and use it at work, it would probably be a good idea for now to stick with Office. However, it is always fun to learn new software. Hope this helps.

B-rock

Mar 20, 2009 9:08 AM in response to raday

Yes, if you wanted to go that route you could or you could install the compatibility pack from Microsoft. More on this can be found in the page below. Or you could just save the project in the older format.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100444731033.aspx

Here is an article on an example of converter as well if you wanted to do that.
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/09/24/converting-docx-documents-to-doc/

B-rock

Office 2008 for MAC Compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.