Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the best hardware to use Mainstage live?

Hi
I am thinking of getting a macbook to run Mainstage for gigs.
I just wanted to know if I need to have any sound cards pre installed or anything?
I use a Roland RD 300 which has midi and a usb port and a Rolandxp80 which has no usb.

Can anyone tell me if I need additional interfaces for outputting audio to the PA and inputting midi to
the laptop?
If I get the cheapest macbook but up the ram to 4 gig will that be powerful enough?
Thanks

Mac Pro 2 x 2 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 4 GB Ram -Logic 8-Motu 2408 Mk2-Motu MTP AV

Posted on Mar 21, 2009 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2009 6:35 PM

You'll be better off with a MacBook Pro; the cheapest version should be OK, especially if you add extra RAM.

You will need an audio interface for best sound quality.
I don't think you can input MIDI without an interface
15 replies

Mar 24, 2009 3:56 AM in response to Bobbi Flekman

I assume the audio interfaces attach via USB or Firewire ports.
My Mac Pro has a PCI card fitted internally for my motu so I just
wanted to make sure the macbook didn't need any thing fitted.

Can you recommend a good but not too expensive audio/midi interface?

If I was using it just for gigs, wouldn't the built in audio output be good enough? Say with a stereo mini jack to 2 xlr or 1/4 inch jack- cable?

Many thanks

Mar 25, 2009 2:50 AM in response to theunbeliever

theunbeliever wrote:
I assume the audio interfaces attach via USB or Firewire ports.
My Mac Pro has a PCI card fitted internally for my motu so I just
wanted to make sure the macbook didn't need any thing fitted.

Correct. The MIDI/Audio interface goes into the FW/USB. MIDI cable from keyboard to interface, audio cables from interface to mixer/amp/whatever.

theunbeliever wrote:
Can you recommend a good but not too expensive audio/midi interface?

Define expensive... I have two interfaces that I like, one is a Mark Of The Unicorn (MOTU) 828 MkII, the other is a Tascam US-144. The MOTU is more expensive, but higher quality. I use the Tascam as a simple quick road thingy as it is small (not a 19" module).

theunbeliever wrote:
If I was using it just for gigs, wouldn't the built in audio output be good enough? Say with a stereo mini jack to 2 xlr or 1/4 inch jack- cable?

You can try, but I sincerely doubt it. Just hook it up and listen to it. If you like the sound, go for it. I didn't like it, not on my Macbook Pro or on my iMac.

Mar 25, 2009 7:21 AM in response to theunbeliever

Keyboard 1(MIDI Out) > Keyboard 2(MIDI In)

Keyboard 2(MIDI Thru) > Tascam (or whatever MIDI interface you're using).

Either that or you will have to use MIDI Thru boxes.

This way you will be able to play instruments on two different MIDI channels and MainStage can send the MIDI data to separate channel strips. Be aware that you will have to add another keyboard to MainStage setup.

Mar 29, 2009 10:06 PM in response to theunbeliever

i use the built in audio output and the sound quality is fine even on piano sounds. I use usb midi cable to a cheap midi controller keyboard and can set things at 128 so latency is super low. I have a firebox from presonus and found no increase in the quality of sound and latency and cpu load where if anything slightly worse. So i give the built in soundcard a big thumbs up
I suggest you dont buy an audio interface but try it with the built in soundcard. If u dont like it take your rig down to a music dealer and try it there... I always suggest listening through your own headphones so that the acoustics or sound system they are using wont color your sound.

May 25, 2009 7:19 PM in response to theunbeliever

I use a Novation XioSynth 49- it's a combination controller/virtual analog/audio interface along with an ancient 76-key Roland MKB-300. The Xio has been very reliable- this way I have a stereo audio interface and a 49 key controller, all powered off USB bus. The only bad things about it- no MIDI in for the MKB-300, so I have to use an M-Audio Uno USB interface, and the knobs literally fall off (nice QC guys). I just removed all the knobs except volume- I don't really use them anyway.

May 29, 2009 8:25 PM in response to carsimm

I use a MOTU Ultralite, and it works great. It has a bunch of ins and outs including midi ports. It's also firewire bus powered, which makes it a lot easier to use with a laptop -- one less cable to worry about.

The Edirol PCR-800 keyboard works well because it has a bunch of buttons that can be programmed to work as velocity sensitive drum pads or as push buttons. It's also got a host of knobs, and it sends channel pressure. The key action is also pretty good compared to the previous Edirol model and other similarly priced keyboards.

What's the best hardware to use Mainstage live?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.