Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic 8 using only one CPU while bouncing

Whenever I bounce a project, Logic 8 uses only one CPU. It also spikes this CPU completely, with the CPU meter going into the red area, which is why I am rather keen on persuading Logic to distribute the load.

Any ideas?

(I've given the support document with tips on how to balance multi-core performance a good read, but it doesn't seem to say anything on this particular subject, and following the advice in the document does nothing to change my CPU load.)

MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Duo Core, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 2 GB of RAM, X1600 256mb, 120 GB 5400 RPM harddrive,

Posted on Mar 22, 2009 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2009 12:44 PM

Bouncing is a single core process. Just like rendering is in Final Cut Pro. This won't change until Leopard and Apple's ProApps get better at handling multiple cores.

It's redlining because the processor core is working as fast as it can. Computer processors don't just randomly run slower, they use their resources for the tasks at hand. If it only used 50% of a core, the bounce would take twice as long to process.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2009 12:44 PM in response to Ayjona

Bouncing is a single core process. Just like rendering is in Final Cut Pro. This won't change until Leopard and Apple's ProApps get better at handling multiple cores.

It's redlining because the processor core is working as fast as it can. Computer processors don't just randomly run slower, they use their resources for the tasks at hand. If it only used 50% of a core, the bounce would take twice as long to process.

Mar 22, 2009 12:49 PM in response to Ayjona

Bounce Off Line (and Freeze function) are a Single Render operation...

1 trhead can use only one core...
This is not a Logic issue... OS X works by this way.

1 Thread = 1 core.

(not sure if that will be changed with 10.6)

G

Logic 8 using only one CPU while bouncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.