Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Jerky Playback and freezing

When in editing mode I am getting occasional freezing and jerky playback but the sound track continues to run. The same in full playback
The machine is a new 24" 3.06 so I doubt it is a lack of resource problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

iMac 24" 3.06, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 23, 2009 1:10 PM

15 replies

Mar 24, 2009 5:08 AM in response to oldmovieguy

Thanks oldmovieguy!
Keep us posted. My movie got so bad last night, I couldn't even "preview" the project as I was going. It only worked if I manually skimmed the scrub bar across the project in the Edit window. I exported to QuickTime & was able to watch it smoothly in QuickTime at least.

I hope your solution works! Let me know!
Joan

Mar 24, 2009 7:24 AM in response to oldmovieguy

Well...sadly not for me.
I'm recreating my Movie Project, to see where the problem begins.
*I isolated it*....it begins to stutter on playback, as SOON as I add a transition. In my case, the cross dissolve. Then it stutters on playback. (I added the transition manually, and not the automatic way.)

Wonder what this means!

Mar 24, 2009 9:16 AM in response to oldmovieguy

oldmovieguy,
Hmmmm...maybe we're on to something!
I did begin another thread, to draw attention to this specific problem we've isolated. Hopefully, between the two of us, we'll figure this thing out! It is VERY annoying. Especially, since creating a movie in the new Imovie 09 is a snap. Luckily, I had marked all my good footage with a star, so I can recreate a project in a jiffy!

Message was edited by: JBK

Mar 24, 2009 2:56 PM in response to bcr88

ive been posting on another thread about this too - same problem. The fps rate 30 Vs 25 is interesting but surely apple software would deal with this? I'm not sure I understand how this works...

I think this problem must be affecting many users. Must be a bug? Smooth playback in project is a fundamental requirement. It must be resolved.

appreciate any help.

Apr 1, 2009 4:02 PM in response to tjworld

so, the fix for me was in another thread. Adding it here:

Put the clip in a project, click on "clip Adjustments" from the drop down "gear" on the clip.

Click on "Convert entire clip"

Once done, that clip will work without stuttering. Something to do with changing the Codec. I did not notice a change in quality of the clip although some people have.

Apr 1, 2009 4:24 PM in response to oldmovieguy

FWIW, I ran into a similar jerky playback situation creating a new project (never happened before the iM09 upgrade).

Everything worked with the WorldMap theme applied (with auto transition insertion). However, as soon as I changed the transition time to 8 sec (default is 5, I think), all **** broke loose and I saw stuttering, audio/video not synch'd and a diff video playing than the one under the cursor! Initial reaction was to delete and re-add the clips... Didn't seem to resolve.

Later, what worked for me was this: I dbl-clicked on the proj clip to go into the detailed edit... There, I saw what the problem was... There was no space at the end of the EVENT clip for the transition. So I changed the PROJ clip selection to leave a bit of video at the end (un-selected) for the transition, and voila, the jerkiness/stuttering was resolved.

Not sure if this is similar to what others have experienced, but thought I'd share.

Jerky Playback and freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.