Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I modify default print "Presets"

Hi -

We recently purchased a Ricoh color-laser multi-function device that prints in color and black/white. Under "Printer Features/Color Mode" within the Print dialog, I can select "Black and White" or "Color" (the default is "Color"). I know how to use 'Presets' within the Print dialog to create a preset that automatically uses the "Black and White" mode.

In order to avoid accidently using color toner, I would like to be able to have the Print command AUTOMATICALLY default to this "Black and White" mode. (I.E., I would like for "Black and White" to be the default under "Printer Features / Color Mode".

Is this possible? (Does this make sense?)

Thanks -

iMac / aluminum / 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 24, 2009 1:59 PM

11 replies

Mar 24, 2009 2:43 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for your reply, Kappy -

I have done a 'Save As' as you suggested which indeed allows me to save settings under a preset. The problem is that I want it to default to a particular preset EVERY TIME I select the Print command. The way it is happening now, the Preset defaults to what ever it was the last time I printed.

I hope I'm being clear... Sorry for any confusion.

Mar 25, 2009 2:05 AM in response to Kappy

The "Save Presets" thing has been broken since 10.5 rolled out. There's always discussion going on here about how it used to work and now it doesn't, it's pretty...sad...

I know myself and a bunch of other people have filed bug reports for I'm not sure how long, at least half a year now, and nothing has been done about this. It's in the grand scheme of things a minor bug...but to my wife, it's a -seriously annoying bug- because she likes to print photos on 4x6 paper and would not be able to set the preset to remain on 4x6 borderless. I'm hoping this either gets fixed with the next 10.5.x update or even 10.6.

Jun 3, 2009 6:37 PM in response to doogles

Hello, Can someone help me find the option on the Printer dialogue box to set up a alternate presets besides "standard" (low quality or in Black and White). I don't get this option when I hit the arrow next to the printer drop down box. The only choices I get is to select number of pages to print or orientation when I select print set up. Thanks

Jun 4, 2009 5:55 AM in response to doogles

Use a web browser to access the web interface for the printing system. Go to http://127.0.0.1:631/printers and find your printer. Click on the button *Set Printer Options*. You should select grayscale printing option that you want to make default. Be sure to click the *Set Printer Options* button when you are done. You will have to supply your administrator's short user name and password.

Matt

Jun 4, 2009 7:56 PM in response to doogles

Hello doogles,

If your Ricoh is a PostScript device and therefore uses a PPD, you could modify the PPD so that b&w was the default rather than color (which I believe is what you were actually asking about).

Below is some information I have used for our previous Canon iRC3200 which used an imagePASS (Fiery) C1.

1. Open the PPD in a text editor of some sort.
2. Go to the section describing:

*OpenGroup: FPColorWise1/ColorWise1
*%EFIFlags *EFColorMode Spooler|Command|Column|Setup|Rerip
*%EFIGroup *EFColorMode FPColorWise/ColorWise
*OpenUI *EFColorMode/Color Mode :PickOne
*OrderDependency: 12.0 AnySetup *EFColorMode
**DefaultEFColorMode: EFColorModeDEF*
*EFColorMode EFColorModeDEF/Printer's default: ""
*EFColorMode CMYK/CMYK: " userdict /XJXsetcolormode known
{ (CMYK) XJXsetcolormode } if "
*End
*EFColorMode GRAY/Grayscale: " userdict /XJXsetcolormode known
{ (Grayscale) XJXsetcolormode } if "
*End
*?EFColorMode: " currentpagedevice /ProcessColorModel get == } if "
*CloseUI: *EFColorMode
*CloseGroup: FPColorWise1

This is the section in the PPD that relates to the Color Mode and what options that will be displayed in the properties of the driver.

3. Change this section to this:

*%EFIFlags *EFColorMode Spooler|Command|Column|Setup|Rerip
*%EFIGroup *EFColorMode Color/Color
*OpenUI *EFColorMode/Color Mode :PickOne
*OrderDependency: 12.0 AnySetup *EFColorMode
**DefaultEFColorMode: GRAY*
*EFColorMode EFColorModeDEF/Printer's default: ""
*EFColorMode GRAY/Grayscale: " userdict /XJXsetcolormode known
{ (Grayscale) XJXsetcolormode } if "
*End
*?EFColorMode: " currentpagedevice /ProcessColorModel get == } if "
*CloseUI: *EFColorMode

The changes to the original ppd are setting the "DefaultEFColourMode" to "Grayscale" and removing the "EFColorMode CMYK..." entry.

4. With the changes made to the ppd, create a new printer but point to the modified PPD.

If the Ricoh uses a proprietary printer language rather than PostScript, then it may not be possible to change.

However, if the machine also supports PCL6, you could create another printer queue to the Ricoh and select the Generic PCL6 driver included with OS X. You could then call this queue B&W and have this set as the default printer. Then, if the user wants to print color, they simply select the current Ricoh driver.

Note that the Generic drivers have limitations regarding finishing and don't support some larger paper sizes, such as A3. But if these are not required, then it may prove an easy alternative to modifying the PPD.

PaHu

can I modify default print "Presets"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.