Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Jabber Login - Incorrect screen name or password

I've never had a problem with ichat using my gmail account (Jabber). As of yesterday, I keep getting a pop-up asking for my password. I enter in all the correct information but still keep getting:

Jabber Login

ichat was unable to login to talk.google.com because your screen name or password was incorrect.

I cannot seem to figure this out. In server settings, I have Port 5223 entered and Use SSN box checked. I have deleted and added my gmail account to see if that would help, but nothing.

Please help me fix this. It's driving me crazy.

Thanks.

macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 24, 2009 3:13 PM

13 replies

Mar 25, 2009 2:45 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi,

Thanks for helping out here. Yes, I have gone to the Google Pages and successfully logged in with my ID there. Not sure about the accounts page. I don't see anything about set up for GoogleTalk. I did notice when in Gmail, it appears that I am logged into Chat on the left side of the webpage. I just can't get it to work with ichat.

The funny thing is, I have been using ichat (Jabber) with my googletalk account for awhile now. All of a sudden, it keeps asking for my password and won't accept it.

Mar 25, 2009 3:31 PM in response to Icemann

Based on this FAQ http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=121885 you have done the first bit of checking whether you can get on the web site where you registered the Name/ID.

Move on to checking the Keychain Entry.
Deleting the .plist earlier will have asked the Keychain to fill it (the password and Account ID) in again so the Keychain will be the next thing to check.

I can log in to GoogleTalk from here so it does not look like a GoogelTalk server issue.

It is late where I am and I am unlikely to read any responses tonight.
It will be about 18 hours from post time before I get back but I am subscribed to the thread and will get an Email if you post.

User uploaded file

10:31 PM Wednesday; March 25, 2009

Mar 26, 2009 11:53 AM in response to Icemann

I'm having the same problem as of a week ago or so. I've been able to chat/audio/video conference using the Google Talk/Jabber account, but get the incorrect screen name or password error. I've tried all of the above suggestions from Ralph, but no progress yet.

One note - I have no com.apple.iChat.Jabber.plist in my Preferences directory in my Library. Seems strange.

An aside: Google has blocked my email once or twice (thinking it was sending spam), and I had to go to their Captcha page to re-enable it. I'll look into that.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Jabber Login - Incorrect screen name or password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.