Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password Reset Failed

A little problem with a PM D2.3 running 10.5.6 required a clean install from discs. Everything went fine, including the migration back from Time Machine backup. Upon restart, however, I can't log in to my user. Seems my password is incorrect.

No worries, right? I restart from the discs (again) and use the Reset Password utility. Restart (again) and password has not been reset.

I try one more option, logging in as an Admin user and under Account Management, reset the password for my primary user. I get this message:

"Reset Password Failed"

I have clean installed and migrated a good user - the password does not work. I have clean installed and used Migration assistant to migrate ONLY that user. The password does not work. I have use the Reset Password utility - and failed.

What am I missing here? What kind of problem am I facing? I've NEVER had this happen in all my Mac time...

Thanks in advance,

Phoop out.

MBP 15 maxxed (plus 2 PM, 2iMac), Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 24, 2009 9:05 PM

2 replies

Mar 25, 2009 12:21 PM in response to Phoopster

Update on this problem:

Tediously, I created a new user last night and migrated as much information as I could. Some interesting quirks remain unsolved:

1) Quicktime updates will not install... when I try I get this error message:
"The update 'QuickTime' can't be saved.
You do not have appropriate access privileges
The installer package has bee moved to the trash. To try again, open the package from the finder."

2) Desktop picture cannot be changed - upon attempt, System Preferences promptly quits.

I am installing/updating as admin...

More as I find them... very weird...

Password Reset Failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.