Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime will only play sound no video

I have some video's i've downloaded from my digital camera onto my PC saved as MOV files. When i try to play them on the PC there is no video only the sound. Can i view them in any format?

Windows XP

Posted on Mar 25, 2009 6:55 AM

8 replies

Mar 31, 2009 2:59 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Below is the info from the Movie Inspector window, I hope this helps you (and me).

Source: C:\Users\David\Desktop\SUC30063.MOV
Format: u-Law 2:1, Mono, 8.000kHz MPEG-4 Video, 320x240, Millions
Movie FPS: 20.00
Playing FPS: 20.00
Data Size: 7.25 MB
Data Rate: 874.58 kbits/sec
Current Time: 00:00:02.90
Duration: 00:01:09.55
Normal Size: 320 x 240 pixels
Current Size: 320 x 240 pixels

Apr 1, 2009 8:48 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

I have a new Mac (got it for Christmas). I switched from Windows but I'd still like to play my wmv files. The problem is that they won't play the video on Quicktime either, only the sound. I have downloaded Flip4Mac and tried various settings. I've searched all the forums but I still can't get my wmv files to play. Can you help? The wmv video was created using Photostory. It is pretty basic stuff.
Thanks for any advice/help.

May 13, 2009 4:47 AM in response to davidjo7

I too had the no video problem with my MBP 10.5.6, but the same video would play just fine on iMac 10.4.11.

My Solution was as simple as checking the "Video for Windows (AVI)" option under the MIME settings, which is found in QuickTime prefs advanced tab.

It took me several days to discover a 3 second solution. Hope it works as well for you.

Quicktime will only play sound no video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.