Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

all .xml files show up as being owned by Application FCP ?

All xml files show up in the finder as being owned by FCP?

G4, G5, MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Dual 500, dual MacPro, MacBook, RD, VMware, Intel Vista

Posted on Mar 25, 2009 12:12 PM

6 replies

Mar 25, 2009 12:18 PM in response to DwainC

FCP uses XML Interchange Format to exchange editing information with other nonlinear editing systems, so it's not surprising. If you want XML files to open in another application by default, click on a representative file, Get Info (Command-I or under the File menu), go to the Open With.. section, select the appropriate application to open the files, and click the Change All button.

Mar 25, 2009 12:54 PM in response to Templeton Peck

Listen, I did a search before posting. I'm not a newbie and you don't need to be a weisenheimer. I've owned Macs since the late 80's but 10.5 is a little bit of a different animal all PUN intended. If you're tired of answering ???s like the one I posted then don't waste your time and don't try and belittle the person posting it. get over yourself!

Mar 25, 2009 1:02 PM in response to varjak paw

Dave, Upon upgrading when 10.5 first came out from 10.4.11 all xml files universally defaulted to FCP ownership and I'm not sure why. It's not causing any real problems so I guess I could have been a little more clear with my question so I apologize, long day. It's not a problem of going in and changing the default application for just one file it's many files. Any idea why this universally occurred accross all .xml files?

Mar 25, 2009 1:06 PM in response to DwainC

It's not a problem of going in and changing the default application for just one file it's many files.

Again, if you click the "Change All" button, all XML files will be reassigned to the selected application .

Any idea why this universally occurred accross all .xml files?

I can only guess, but if you had no application that clearly was registered in the OS as handling XML files, the OS defaulted to FCP which being an Apple application was probably in the system as handling XML.

Mar 25, 2009 1:27 PM in response to varjak paw

Dave, thanks I appreciate your time and willingness to try and answer the question. I am real familiar with permissions and using get info/ no probs there. It was just why all xml files had been altered to show FCP as the app that owned the file. Again Thank you for your time and not ASSUMING that I didn't search the Forums first. I usually avoid the forums because of seeing such responses to other posters. So thanks for being a nice guy and not a jerk....

all .xml files show up as being owned by Application FCP ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.