4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2009 3:50 PM by Brian Lighthart
Mythos_gr Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
My apologies if that is not the right thread to post this question, but I didn't know quite where to put it.
Now straight to the subject, I am hoping to buy the cube, and turn it into a small home server running 10.4 server but my macbook pro has leopard on it and I am going to be upgrading it to leopard snow when they come out.
So I wanted to ask if there are going to be any compatibility issues between the two operating systems. I am going to be using it as a web, file and sql server. Perhaps in the future for other uses as well.

Thanking you in advance.
Christos

Message was edited by: Mythos_gr

MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Windows XP Boot Camp (Unfortunately)
  • Jeff Kelleher Level 4 Level 4 (3,015 points)
    You should be fine. There are some features in 10.5 client hat can;t be managed by 10.4 server, but that probably isn;t something you'll need. For file sharing, web services, and sql services, there's really nothing to consider as far as conflicts go.

Jeff
  • Mythos_gr Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    From what I've seen around though people have had troubles with the different way of searching files and folders between the two operating systems, and some permissions. Is that something that just requires correct setting up?
  • Jeff Kelleher Level 4 Level 4 (3,015 points)
    I think the issues searching may be more 10.4 client/10.5 server related...but permissions shouldn't be an issue.

Jeff
  • Brian Lighthart Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    I'd just like to chime in here. We had a network that worked pretty well until we started upgrading the workstations to OS 10.5. Thereupon, the "upgraded" workstations lost the ability to Find... anything on the two server volumes we run on OS X Server (v10.4). We are on 10.5.6 on the workstations, and searching for files on the servers the old fashioned way - with a scrollbar and eyeballs.
    Any ideas of what we may have done wrong would be appreciated.