Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod and autorun.inf trojan

Hi!

Ive been infected with a Flash drive. Now my iPod is infected with an autorun associated with a trojan.
To treat my others USB devices, I've used successfully Flash_Disinfector.exe. That program remove the autorun.inf file and installs some lures (.txt files read-only).

*Can I use this kind of fix?*
*Can I format my ipod?*

thanks +

Dell, Windows XP

Posted on Mar 26, 2009 4:25 PM

7 replies

Mar 28, 2009 8:36 AM in response to deggie

Well, it's a virus infecting only USB devices.
http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-63526-how-to-remove-autorun-inf-virus-open-hi dden
It installs an autoplay file on your USB pen (autorun.inf in my case).
I've used successfully an antivirus deleting this file and installing another one (a lure) but I don't if I can do that on my ipod.

Can I format "manually" my ipod if it's inefficient (without usying the classical key combination Menu+Selection)?

Thanks++

Mar 28, 2009 11:57 AM in response to Romatesla

It affects USB storage devices, if you have NOT enable disk use on your iPod it does not affect it and cannot be on it (it couldn't run on it anyway). If you have enabled disk use in your settings then Restoring the iPod will remove all data from it, you do not need to reformat it.

To check to see if you have enabled disk use connect your iPod, go to the Summary tab on the right of iTunes and see if the "Enable Disk Use" box is ticked. If you did not specifically do this in setting up your iPod it will not be ticked and you don't have this virus on your iPod.

iPod and autorun.inf trojan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.