Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

random shutdowns

ok i have been browsing the net and today i have had 3 random shutdowns. cpu heat when restart at 78c fans at above 6000.

any ideas???? going to do a hardware test but im well worried my macbook is dying. still got apple care though 🙂

eMac 1.42, Blackbook 2ghz c2d, imac 24''2.8 extreme, Mac OS X (10.5), iPhone 16gig, 2 60gig ipods, photo white+vid black 500gig minimax hdd

Posted on Mar 29, 2009 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2009 11:34 AM

Open up Activity Monitor (Applications>Utilities). Make sure "All Processes" are listed--this option is in the upper-right corner. Sort the processes by %CPU. Is any process consuming a high amount of CPU? If so, what's the process name?

Do you have any antivirus installed?

One of the more common processes for causing this issue is labeled "printjobmgr" (or something similar). If you see that one, check your printer utility for any print jobs that didn't complete. You can also try force quitting that process and seeing if that fixes things.

~Lyssa
16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2009 11:34 AM in response to paton

Open up Activity Monitor (Applications>Utilities). Make sure "All Processes" are listed--this option is in the upper-right corner. Sort the processes by %CPU. Is any process consuming a high amount of CPU? If so, what's the process name?

Do you have any antivirus installed?

One of the more common processes for causing this issue is labeled "printjobmgr" (or something similar). If you see that one, check your printer utility for any print jobs that didn't complete. You can also try force quitting that process and seeing if that fixes things.

~Lyssa

Jul 3, 2009 5:22 PM in response to paton

1. Since you have Apple Care, make an appointment at your local Apple Store for the Genius Bar.

There are a couple of things you can do:

2. open system profiler and check:

a. memory (see if there are any errors in the RAM)

b. battery (look at how many cycles there are and the status)

3. you can also check your hardware using the AHT

4. your heat sink/cooling fans may need cleaning and may be causing the machine to heat up to the point of emergency shutdown. taking the machine apart and blowing it out may be a good idea.

If both of these check out you may have a software issue, for which I would simply backup & reformat. It takes about 30 minutes to reinstall the OS and check if it begins doing it again.

good luck.

Jul 7, 2009 3:50 AM in response to the1sen

it seems to happen while using flash on the net mostly..

had keynote just quit (shutdown) when running a presentation but ok while making it.

you tube makes it die (shutdown) when watching for long or a HD vid

online games make it die (shutdown) too 😟

but its random as i can eventually make it happen (shutdown) again but not on demand...

Jul 8, 2009 12:13 AM in response to Buldawg88

Hey, did your logic board eventually die? Mine was behaving that way last week and two days ago it shut down and didn't start up again. Took it to the Genius Bar, was told it needed a logic board replacement. $280 quote for mail-in repair, so hopefully that's accurate and there won't be any extra fees! Are there any known issues with the logic board in the late-2006 Macbook model? Because I did hear of issues with the late-2006 Macbook Pro logic board.

Aug 25, 2009 1:45 AM in response to paton

I've got a Black MacBook (2,1), late 2006 model.

Same problem for me, few weeks ago my MacBook started shutting down randomly under heavy load (flash/compiling stuff/games/image editing). Sadly the warranty expired months ago...

This is not a software problem because it happens while running Linux too. I already opened it, I found only a bit of dust, but not too much. I cleaned it etc, but it still shuts down... Someone told me to try replacing the thermal paste, I think I'm going to do it since I plan to upgrade my ram.

I'm broke and I can't afford another laptop :/

random shutdowns

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.