Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing a DVD movie, etc.

How do you import a DVD into iMovie. When I try inserting my DVD (which is in regular DVD Player format), I can't get the iMovie to recognize the files. I'm assuming that I need to convert the DVD files to QuickTime or something, but I can't figure out how to do that either. Can someone help me PLEASE?

Posted on Sep 22, 2005 7:30 PM

6 replies

Sep 22, 2005 7:57 PM in response to John Lee4

John Lee, I've tried to do the same thing myself. I'm told it can be done, although I've never been able to do it succesfully. From what I understand, you'll need a third party program like dvd extractor that will allow you to convert idvd's vob files back to quicktime. I've never done this but I'm told that there is some loss of quality when you convert back to quicktime.

Sep 23, 2005 1:56 AM in response to John Lee4

get for 20$ the Apple mpeg2 plugin

and for free the tool Streamclip
http://danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/tips_tricks/6010.shtml
http://danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/tips_tricks/6018.shtml

in case, you try to import copyright-protected DVDs (respect local laws!), you first need tools as MacTheRipper (my local laws don't allow to post links, even the mentioning of MTR is illegal in Germany 😉 ...)

Sep 23, 2005 7:46 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Since Cinematize costs money and won't deal with protected DVD's (and there are legitimate reasons to use a DVD like that) while both MTR and Streamclip are free and work great (includng protected DVD's), I cannot understand the repeated mention and recommendation of a $60 product which is totally unneccesary and does nothing extra. Other than someone got hoodwinked into buying it so we all share the pain.

Just use the two free ones and also search here before posting as this question is asked and answered about 500 times a month.

Importing a DVD movie, etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.