Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Displays Wrong Album Artwork

Hello everyone!

So, I had a small question. I own a 30G iPod (5G). I've had it for about 2 years or so now. It's always worked great until now. For some reason, all the album artwork on my iPod corresponds to the wrong album. For example, the song "Love Me Dead" by Ludo (Album: "You're Awful, I Love You") shows the artwork for T.I.'s "Paper Trail" album. Sometimes, the small album artwork that appears next to the song, artist and album title will even be different from the larger version of the artwork (when you click the iPod center button twice to make the album artwork fill the entire screen). For example, I was listening to "Sideways (feat. Citizen Cope)" by Santana (Album: "Shaman") and it showed the album artwork for The Beatles' White Album ("The Beatles"). When I clicked the center button twice, the larger artwork was the correct album artwork for "Shaman". There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the way the artwork is processed. Although most all of my music comes from CD's, all of my artwork has been obtained using the iTunes "Get Album Artwork" feature. All the artwork is displayed correctly both in iTunes and on my iPod touch. I am using iTunes 8.1.

That's basically it. This isn't a life or death issue, because as I said, I have another iPod and I really only use this iPod I'm in my car, but I was wondering what was causing this and how I might fix it. And if there really is no solution, just let me know. I can live without album artwork if I need to. Haha.

Cheers!

Eric

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 30, 2009 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2009 11:15 AM

It's likely that the artwork cache is corrupted.

It's a simple fix by unchecking "display album artwork" in the music preferences section when your iPod is connected and click "apply". Then sync your iPod.

Then check "display album artwork" in the music preferences section when your iPod is connected and click "apply". Then sync your iPod again.

This should resync the album artwork to the iPod.

If this does not work, you might need to restore the iPod and reload the songs in order to correct this error.

See: How to restore the iPod to factory settings.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2009 11:15 AM in response to ebo101

It's likely that the artwork cache is corrupted.

It's a simple fix by unchecking "display album artwork" in the music preferences section when your iPod is connected and click "apply". Then sync your iPod.

Then check "display album artwork" in the music preferences section when your iPod is connected and click "apply". Then sync your iPod again.

This should resync the album artwork to the iPod.

If this does not work, you might need to restore the iPod and reload the songs in order to correct this error.

See: How to restore the iPod to factory settings.

Mar 30, 2009 1:18 PM in response to Jeff Bryan

Thanks a ton man! I figured that it had an easy fix, but I didn't want to take any chances that I would mess up anything on my iPod.

Also, another question if you might happen to know the answer. Same iPod and same conditions. A large black line has appeared about 3/4 of the way down the iPod's screen. It started out small about 3 months ago and has been increasing in size ever since. It looks as if it is a part of the display itself, yet the line disappears when the backlight is turned off. (If you need a photo, I'd be more than glad to provide.) Music, videos, games; everything works fine, but the line gets in the way of seeing some of the options when I scroll through my music. Would this be a hardware or software issue? If software, how might I fix it? If hardware, would you recommend getting it RMA'd by Apple (without the Apple Care package), selling it to get it replaced with a newer model or keeping it and living with part of the screen being blackened off? Again, not a life or death issue, but something that I would prefer to live without.

Thanks again!

Eric

Mar 31, 2009 1:35 AM in response to ebo101

There've been other posts along about this and don't think the issue can be resolved without getting the iPod repaired.

Getting it fixed by Apple will be expensive (around $129) and you may find it better to Google 'iPod repairs'.

How you proceed for there on in (getting it fixed or buying a new iPod) depends on how your fixed financially. Many people buy iPods that aren't working as they should or with faulty displays on eBay, so that might be one option to consider to part fund a replacement iPod.

Apr 2, 2009 11:51 AM in response to ebo101

That line issue is a mystery. Many people have reported it and my daughter's iPod has it as well. It seems most of the people reported it after having recently updated to a recent version of the iPod firmware. I don't recall off hand which version. I don't know if that is the cause or just a coincidence since many 5th generation iPod would all be about the same age.
So I don't know if it is a hardware problem or a software problem or a hardware problem triggered by a software change.
On my daughter's I told her to just suck it up and stop asking me for a Touch. 😉 Our other two 5th generation iPods do not have this issue.
Regards,
Patrick

iPod Displays Wrong Album Artwork

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.