Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CANOPUS ADVC-110 av/dv converter

Hi all,

I'd like some help before I spend some well-earned cash.

Can anyone confirm whether the CANOPUS ADVC-110 ANALOG/DIG CONV (as sold in the Apple store) works with 10.4.2 ? I want to bring AV from an old S-VHS camcorder into iMovie. I've searched high and low to find if it's compatible - either officially declared or from users' information - but can't see anything.

Thanks a lot.

Posted on Oct 1, 2005 9:41 PM

11 replies

Oct 5, 2005 4:33 PM in response to james2

I have the Canopus ADVC 300 which works great. Should be the same effect as the 110 (which does not need the external power supply and does not have video enhancment firmware). It is not software dependent. It simply converts an analog source to a digital signal on the firewire port(or vice versa). There are many converters to serve the purpose. I wanted to clean up some very old videos so I got the fancy one. The Canopus units generally earned high ratings on several reviews. Read the manual carefully regarding power on/off and firewire plug/unplug sequence.

Oct 5, 2005 5:03 PM in response to james2

As I write this via my PC at work, I am currently importing video into my mini-Mac using the ADVC-55. No problems. At home I have been using the ADVC-100 for a couple of years. Never had a problem. I've used the ADVC-100 to import tons of old VHS and 8mm video for family movies to burn DVDs. I also use it to convert VHS TV programs into iMovie that I want to keep on DVDs. Never had a problem.

Oct 12, 2005 5:37 AM in response to james2

I use 100's and 110's in my classroom with imovie 5. 150 students torturing them everyday no failures. Sometimes I get the play button lit but no import. First I make sure the setting is on analog. I reopen the program then it usually works. Still not working? Delete the pref files. It seems like all devices need to be connected before you open the programs.

Hope this helps

Oct 12, 2005 12:00 PM in response to james2

Having used the ADVC-100 and 55, I know of one thing that may give the illusion that the Canopus doesn't work properly: If the Canopus sits idle for a period of non-use, or if one switches between the "Edit" mode and the "Capture" mode in iMovie, the Canopus forgets that it is connected. To re-establish the connection, I find that I need to unplug the Firewire cable then plug it back in. My ADVC-100 has a button that elimninates this as it switches between Analog and Digital sources. The ADVC-55 does not have this button, so I simply unplug/plug-in the Firewire cable. Other than that, I have never experienced any problems with the Canopus units with thousands of hours of use.

CANOPUS ADVC-110 av/dv converter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.