Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Taking apart an older model Velociraptor.

Hi all,

I'm trying to take off the heat sink of the older style Velociraptors, the GLFS. I'm going to put two in a Mac Pro via Maxupgrade sleds. I can't figure out a way to do this carefully, I'm not really sure which screws to turn, and the screws (hexes) I see to turn seem like they will strip before turning.
Does anyone have experience in this area that they could share with me regarding this? I don't want to destroy these drives.

Thanks,
Steve

G5Quad 2.5, 16gb ram, 7800gtx, 5-VR Striped. Sonnet E4i, Jive., Mac OS X (10.5.6), electron22blueIV, 20"cinema display, iPod touch

Posted on Mar 30, 2009 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2009 3:35 PM

Okay, let's get this broken down and get you off the ground!

From Barefeats:

INSTALLATION It's a snap to make the switch. You remove four screws holding the Velociraptor to the factory enclosure/heatsink. Then use the provided allen head screws and allen head wrenches to connect the MaxConnect custom aluminum heatsink and custom machined aluminum sled to the "bare" Velociraptor.

One concern is that one of the four screws on the Velociraptor's factory heatsink is covered with a sticker. That implies that removing that sticker is grounds for nullification of factory drive warranty. FLASH #1: Since we posted this article, WD decided to offer a Velociraptor withOUT the factory heatsink (or ICE PAK): see model WD3000BLFS. That will solve the warranty issue.

FLASH #2: As of August 13th, 2008, Western Digital now lists a "backplane-ready" version of the Velociraptor (WD3000HLFS) on their website. Based on the 360 degree view, you can see that you will be able to mount it on the Mac Pro standard sled and plug it into the motherboard connectors like a regular 3.5" SATA or SAS drive. It also works with SATA enclosures that plug the drive into the backplane, hence the "backplane-ready" moniker. As of September 11th, OWC has the "backplane-ready" WD Velociraptor 10K SATA drive in stock.

http://www.barefeats.com/hard106.html

Hope that helps some.
PS: just got the SATA docking station by Thermaltake "BlackX" which can be really versitile and pop in all those older SATA drives on shelf in their bags and use when I want to do backup or grab something. Not too shabby for $35 (price came down).
23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2009 3:35 PM in response to Samsara

Okay, let's get this broken down and get you off the ground!

From Barefeats:

INSTALLATION It's a snap to make the switch. You remove four screws holding the Velociraptor to the factory enclosure/heatsink. Then use the provided allen head screws and allen head wrenches to connect the MaxConnect custom aluminum heatsink and custom machined aluminum sled to the "bare" Velociraptor.

One concern is that one of the four screws on the Velociraptor's factory heatsink is covered with a sticker. That implies that removing that sticker is grounds for nullification of factory drive warranty. FLASH #1: Since we posted this article, WD decided to offer a Velociraptor withOUT the factory heatsink (or ICE PAK): see model WD3000BLFS. That will solve the warranty issue.

FLASH #2: As of August 13th, 2008, Western Digital now lists a "backplane-ready" version of the Velociraptor (WD3000HLFS) on their website. Based on the 360 degree view, you can see that you will be able to mount it on the Mac Pro standard sled and plug it into the motherboard connectors like a regular 3.5" SATA or SAS drive. It also works with SATA enclosures that plug the drive into the backplane, hence the "backplane-ready" moniker. As of September 11th, OWC has the "backplane-ready" WD Velociraptor 10K SATA drive in stock.

http://www.barefeats.com/hard106.html

Hope that helps some.
PS: just got the SATA docking station by Thermaltake "BlackX" which can be really versitile and pop in all those older SATA drives on shelf in their bags and use when I want to do backup or grab something. Not too shabby for $35 (price came down).

Mar 30, 2009 3:53 PM in response to The hatter

Lol!
Thanks Hatter, I knew I saw that someplace. But the supplied hexes don't work on the VR, should I just use a screw driver? At least now I know it's the four screws, or whatever they are, on top. Of course this voids the warranty on the two drives, but I didn't really have a choice. No choice that is if I wanted to keep the drives internal. As it is, one, maybe two, for the time being, will be on the outside. Steps to resolve that will arrive soon.

The Thermaltake... guess what. Won't work with the same style VRs. On the other hand, for some older drives I have it works just great.

Thanks Hatter,... UPS has ten minutes to make the delivery time, I've been up and waiting all day. Feels a bit like Christmas. It's here!

Mar 31, 2009 5:38 AM in response to Samsara

I hate the wait. I sit around and fidget. Sit on the front steps, go inside, FedEx actually tried to take this large obvious (black) box with "Apple Computer" to the house next door. I even pay through the nose for overnight.

And of course ends up forcing me to totally clean and rearrange my spare bedroom/office and get all the power cords and dust neatly organized.

I think of that ad, the one with the catapult take-off and 4Gs as you let 'er rip!

Think you are in for some fun flying. If you get the bug, popping in a GTX 285 1GB (or two) and really flying X-Plane or whatever your game-poison - down the road of course, once the dust settles ๐Ÿ™‚

Mar 31, 2009 8:52 AM in response to The hatter

once the dust settles

Ooh, that might take a bit, perhaps by days end maybe. Depends on how much I linger in pleasant bewilderment. Have to say, it really feels like I got a new Mac, as in I haven't figured it all out yet.

My clone wouldn't start it, just a gray screen. The clone I really wanted to start from, on the 150HLFS, well, that disk has not wanted to fit yet. That's a bit of a mystery that I need todays good daylight to tackle. I put in the WD640 last night instead, which has my other clone, Time Machine, and, gulp, 10.4 on it. The MaxUpgrade sleds worked like a charm, I have two 300gb VRs up and running.
But I wasted a lot of time trying to put a fresh, from my new dvds, system on one, and them (yep, tried to stripe the two together for fun). Do I hear someone in the audience saying "format scheme"? As in some Intelish-hellish format scheme? Perhaps I do, I'm still somewhat befogged.
Migration Assistant was out helping other people yesterday, I got few benefits from it. Well, it remembered my Mail settings, which is more than I had the intelligence to write down or remember.
Otherwise, transferring over the account from the Quad made a sick puppy of an account on this Mac.
The most I accomplished at days end was using Superduper (downloaded fresh from the net) to clone this Macs original drive to one of the VRs. I didn't expect that to work either, but it did. I like that program more and more.
So today's endeavors will be, one, installing a fresh new system on one of my drives, minus the gunk.
Two, resurrecting one of my clones to work.
Three, go back inside the Mac again, find the power connector I need for my Sonnet card and get the rest of my drives online. And while there, try to figure out why the 150VR didn't fit.

So far, even though in my egotistical mind I thought I would have everything set up and ready to go in a half hour or less, there's a sweet-sour misery I'm feeling that I'm enjoying very much. ๐Ÿ™‚

I haven't taken PS4 or AE3 for a spin yet. Those are pleasures I'm waiting on. As far as games though, well, do I embarrass myself by admitting that Star Wars Battlefront is a favorite? It's so darn pretty. Too bad, even though I saw on a list that it was playable on an IntelMac, it doesn't play on mine. ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ Shouldn't Rosetta be helping me out a bit? Where is she, I want to talk to her supervisor.

Mar 31, 2009 9:55 AM in response to Samsara

Oh, it'll take weeks at the least for the real dust to settle, if then ๐Ÿ˜‰

Your system requires a later build than even retail 10.5.6 that has additional hardware support.

Also, G5 formatted drives can be nasty, and the change from PPC to Intel. That spells "spring cleaning" and fresh installs (drag and drop programs are safe).

Intel = GPT (GUID) which is an improved partition table and better features. While supposedly you can/should be able to use old format, reality is it causes trouble. And just the merest presence of some PPC OS can cause system boot issues.

Better to put your VRs etc for now in external case or docking station until you pull the data off and have a chance to reformat. ie, time to create even more dust I'm afraid.

MA is fast and real benefit. And fine going PPC to PPC or same family. Most common side effect of PPC -> Intel is a sluggish or "something not quite smooth or right" feel - like "this isn't much or any faster than my Quad" or something.

Installing programs that have installers is a must, and maybe will get Star Wars running. You may need "Get Info" and force it to run in Rosetta, or there may be something (plug-in?) that isn't Universal.

And yes, there are some MacFixit articles on what MA does when it moves and creates its own new account, can't remember the particulars.

The VR with kit adapter not fitting though is unexpected. One step back and sidewards. Expect things always take longer. And taking longer, I like to clone the system first.

Installing OS X. Restore the DVD to a 16-24GB Firewire partition. Boot off the partition and watch as OS X installs in under 10 minutes. Fast.

Get it setup first on your Raptors and stuff before you let loose. Though making sure it boots "out of the box" is probably already under your belt and before you could breath!

Mar 31, 2009 10:52 AM in response to The hatter

Thanks Hatter,

Appreciate your insight, and the shared enjoyment. ๐Ÿ™‚

GUID, aye, there may lie the rub. It helps one to click on the disks OSX doesn't want to install on. It told me right there of what next step to try. I think it will work this time, after repartitioning the disks.

I think I'll forget about the clones, except as something to pull things from, and just start fresh as a daisy. I've been wanting to do that for awhile but dreaded the hassle. Seems like a perfect time now though. (oh where oh where might all my software discs be...)

Firewire... that will be manageable tomorrow after a delivery from OWC. My one FW drive now is not FW800, hence, out of the loop for now.

The sleds worked great (after I learned what a torx wrench is). But it's odd that the 150GB VR HLFS, one with the new backplane set-up, does not seem to fit. It goes in almost all the way and then stops.

I didn't start it up as soon as I got it out of the box. First I tried to get the disks set up and then I installed 12 gig of RAM I got from OWC. Boy, the RAM was simple to put in, the removable tray is great. Oh, yes, the way the HDs go in is great too. I think I must have put the RAM in right although I forgot the diagrams I had seen for best performance. At least it shows up fine and there is no warning (which I hear is a new feature) that it's not put in well. Two slots are open, though I'm hearing now that for the most part filling all the slots doesn't seem to matter as much. Apple is funny, 6 1gb sticks.

Another clone is finished, and it's time to partition a drive or two. If I can install from my DVDs onto one of them, I'll go ahead and hook up the rest of the drives. Things are moving forward... I hope ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mar 31, 2009 11:31 AM in response to Samsara

In the last 30 months, regarding "how to install memory" has been a popular thread topic, too much so. And to think a simple self-test will check and make recommendations.... it was so darn complicated and hard to describe.

Whatever the Red Queen says, goes, and there goes his head!

If I place an order with OWC by 4PM it can be here the next day, which psychs me to know I can have my fix here in under 24 hrs.

Some people have made disk images of all their discs. I think Final Cut has so many and takes so long, installing off a hard drive just flies, it recognizes the DMGs just fine.

People have been crumbling about lack of FW400, but I see it as all good though an adapter doesn't work as well.

Partition, or even click on "WDC...." drive icon and erase will or should change the partition table properly, at least with MBR it did.

Your original boot drive, or any drive you install using the OEM DVD will put AHT in a hidden partition so you can/should be able to just hold down "D" on startup to run Apple Hardware Test. Another neat trick introduced in Early 2008. Try it.

I'm waiting for the VR 300GB to drop down to $199. It will, someday.

Mar 31, 2009 12:09 PM in response to The hatter

In Disk Utility I had to click on the drive, click on the Partition window, choose one partition (could have made more), and only then did I get the option to format GUID. After that the install from the DVD went like a charm.

I've re-found the manual and I may have put the RAM in differently from what they show. I'll check that out when I hook up the rest of my drives now.

I'm getting a FW800 case tomorrow from OWC, it will fit two drives. Should do the job ok.

I didn't know about AHT, thanks for the tip. Not sure how I ever would have run across that one, I didn't see it in the manual.
I'm waiting for the VR 300GB to drop down to $199

Aren't you really waiting for the 80GB Intel X25-M to reach some semblance of a reasonable price? Considering what I paid for all my VRs, let alone the Mac Pro, even those are out of my budget. ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ ๐Ÿ™‚

Mar 31, 2009 3:08 PM in response to The hatter

Hey Hatter,

It was a trial, but I got all of my disks to show up, and then some. The Sonnet software for my card didn't work but another did. Granted it's messy with cables hanging out the back and the bare Jive sitting out, but I should resolve that tomorrow. And I have a bare drive sitting in the optical tray.
For the meantime I think I'll try partitioning the VRs as I did in my Quad as a RAID boot and a scratch disk.
No luck on getting the 150hlfs to fit, I wonder if other people are having the same problem. It's sitting in the Jive now.

So it's up and fully charged. Now it's reinstalling software and copying. After I set up the RAID the first couple of apps I will copy over will be xbench and geekbench. I just have to see those numbers.

Thanx for your help, my friend. I'll post back at least once more, just to show the changed sig and hopefully some good numbers. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mar 31, 2009 10:39 PM in response to Samsara

I think they call that "wickedly fast" my friend!

Not sure what is up with your RAID and drive not fitting. Maybe put up an SOS.

If you boot from the new DVD and try to create a stripped array, and then later run some tests and benchmarks first. Later you can either clone or install. Don't forget that not all controllers are bootable, even Firmtek's.

Also, Bombich updated CCC this week. As have other OS X maintenance utilities.

When the Mac Pro come out, the first OS X update afterwards usually brings some needed tweaks. Mine had 10.4.7 and we compared notes, and found that there were 3 builds in the first month until 10.4.8 finally arrived. 10.4.9 and first 8-core/3GHz and same song and dance (10.4.10).

What was that song, about a 'vette laying rubber in all 4-gears or something? ๐Ÿ™‚

Apr 1, 2009 12:25 AM in response to The hatter

PS4 and AE3 run very fast. Exporting 3D video from Photoshop is very fast now, many, I don't know how many times faster than the Quad. Tomorrow I'll run the digilloyd tests to see how much faster it is than the results I got with the Quad. It should be stellar. AE3 is real quick. I have some tests I would like to perform with it as well, but just in the little time I used it, it flew.
Both apps fully recognize and utilize the 4870. I was worried about that.
I had a feeling that both apps were just waiting for this machine and it turns out to be true. It was worth the upgrade just to use them as they run now.
And my game of games, SWB, miraculously runs just great now... just by copying its folder over to this drive. Strange.

RAID-wise, I think it must be the Sonnet card. While I used the same steps to create a bootable RAID array on my G5,... DU, SuperDuper, DiskWarrior, it's not taking on this Mac. But I did manage to create a bootable array using the 3 VRs that are mounted internally (under the optical drive counts), and I made a scratch disk of the remaining parts of all the 5 VRs. Just playing for now, really. Raised my Geekbench score to a nice rounded 15000 though.

I always thought the Quad was snappy and smooth, much more so than the other G5s I owned. This Mac is just plain out smooth. Things just happen or appear, silently and out of thin air. "Snap" just doesn't seem to have any relevance anymore.

Well, I'll cry like the rest when the even newer models come out, but I think this Mac is going to fit the bill for me for a very long time. It's a weird feeling to have a top of line machine again, I've chased them ever since I first got a Mac. Only a month or so did I maintain a spot at the top and that happened only once, with yet another Windows machine pushing me out. So it's kind of like the old days again, I have the top of the line Mac, but the PCs still rein just ahead of me. But that's cool, that doesn't bother me at all anymore. I'm finally in the realm of fast is fast and there's not much I can see to quibble about anymore. Well done, Apple.

Apr 1, 2009 12:51 AM in response to Samsara

Snap. Or the sound of one hand clapping. Over before it began.

PCI Express cards on Mac Pro that are bootable are even rarer than rare. What worked stopped working. Sonnet and FirmTek didn't make the cut.

You can boost your Xbench score by creating a RAM disk (Leopard Cache Cleaner, though not sure it works with your system and build, it was updated last nite). Then use that as your boot drive. That is how some got higher marks anyway.

3DMark06 would be nice... I wonder what a IIfx would turn in? ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

Taking apart an older model Velociraptor.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.