Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DNLA connection between Sony Bravia TV and MacBook Pro

Hi

I bought a new Sony Bravia TV KDL40E4500 that comes with an Ethernet port and DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) support. I used an Ethernet cable to connect to one of my Airport Express (802.11n) base stations and the TV is given an IP number alright.

How do I stream media from my MacBook Pro over the wireless network to the TV? I installed Nullriver MediaLink 1.72 which recognises an 'unknown device' with the right IP address, but the TV says it doesn't recognise any media servers. I also tried AllegroMediaServer, but it looks like it's from 2006 and it keeps crashing on my system right after start-up.

Has anyone successfully set up a media server that streams directly to a Sony Bravia TV? I don't want to go via a PS3.

MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.6), iPhone 3G

Posted on Apr 2, 2009 5:09 AM

23 replies

Apr 2, 2009 7:35 AM in response to Marcus Foth

If I'm understanding correctly, you have the TV plugged in to the AirPort Express WAN port? That is probably causing conflicts since the AirPort Express is designed to distribute IP addresses via Wi-Fi. I would suggest using an AirPort Extreme, Time Capsule, or third-party router that is designed to act as a DHCP server over wired connections.

TwonkyMedia Server is another DLNA server app for Mac. I don't have any personal experience with it, but it looks like it's designed to support more devices that the MediaLink. http://www.twonkyvision.de/index.html

Apr 5, 2009 3:42 PM in response to Marcus Foth

Thanks Brandon and Duane! There is nothing wrong with the Ethernet connection. The Airport Express is configured to treat Ethernet connected devices as clients, and I can see that the BRAVIA TV has been issued a proper IP address.

I followed your suggestion, Brandon, and installed Twonky Media Server's trial version. Thank you! The server now shows up on the BRAVIA's network configuration panel, and it is listed under the music and photo categories, but I'm yet to figure out how to stream videos from the Mac to the TV.

May 27, 2009 5:58 PM in response to jdelima

I also have been trying to strea media from my Macbook pro(10.5.2) with Twonky Media Server. The TV is SONY Bravia KDL 55X4500. The TV is wored to my home network and is seen in Twonky and vice versa. Able to stream photos - no problem. MP3 files again are seen and do play, but only for 1min and 3sec. Stops with meesage - No playback available. I used iTunes to rip all my CDs inot MP3 format and they all show up as MPEG audio file in iTunes. Have been looking on the net. Quite a few have reported this problem with audio. No answers yet!!

Can't stream video as the the DLNA compatibility seems to be only for audio and photos. There is no video tab on the Cross bar panel, on the TV.

Have also tried Eyeconnect. This is able to stream audio without the timing problem, but the photos do not seem to recognised properly.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated. This is driving me nuts!!!

Cheers
thirayan

Nov 29, 2009 2:58 PM in response to Marcus Foth

Greetings All,

I have been searching for a DNLA solution as well. I did find a solution that seems to be headed in the right direction. http://tvmobili.com/product.php

At this point it is in Beta but I have been able to serve photos from my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 to my Samsung LN52B750.

Please remember this is beta. I had some difficulty installing the software and they are trying to fix the installer to be more compatible. Shoot support an email if you have difficulty.

Good Luck!

Dec 27, 2009 9:04 PM in response to samtc

EyeConnect worked for me to stream to Sony Bravia XBR9. Eyetv video worked great. Itunes works ok (not sure about the album art). iPhoto pictures show up but they are really small (10% of the screen). Any suggestions how to get iphoto pics to go full screen? imovie videos didn't show up at all. I'm testing it out for a month. I'll probably pay the $50 if I don't find anything that will work seemlessly with the eyetv library. Note, I didn't have to export the eyetv files. They show up in a menu on the Sony XBR9 and you click and play. You can forward through commercials 30 seconds forward and 15 seconds back.
-Andrew

Jan 8, 2010 1:13 AM in response to ash471

I recently bought a Sony KDLW32 5500 and have also been fiddling with DLNA. EyeTV Connect works fine as a DLNA server for OSX but it appears that the range of video formats supported by Sony is very limited. EyeTV recordings play back on the TV perfectly, but I haven't been able to get any HD video, mp4 or iMovie files to play. Apparently MPEG-II is supported by the Sony but have yet to find a decent (free!) tool to convert my mp4s to try that one. If anyone has had any luck at all in getting video playing from their Mac via DLNA I'd be interested to hear about it.

Jan 19, 2010 10:03 AM in response to JimRennie

Jim, your posting is very interesting as I have been struggling to get EyeConnect to work with my Sony KDL40W5500, which is a very similar model of TV to yours. My Mac shows up as a server on the TV, and I can successfully stream music and view photos from the Mac. I can also browse the EyeTV recordings library, but if I select any recordings to play I get no joy: the recording title appears at the top of an otherwise blank screen, then after a while everything goes blank. Sometimes - but not by any means all the time - I get a "Playback not available" message.

Looking at Activity Monitor on the Mac, it does seem to be sending something down the network. EyeConnect is using a bit of CPU - more than at idle - and kernel_task is quite busy. So it looks to me as if the problem is with the TV, not EyeConnect.

Could you give some insight in to how you configured your setup to get it working? I have a feeling that the renderer settings might be causing a problem, but to be honest I don't really understand what they are supposed to do...

Jan 19, 2010 10:19 AM in response to Martin Whittaker

I'm afraid there is going to be nothing short of mass confusion with DLNA. While the idea of an "alliance" to formalize standards is a good one, the standards are not firm at this time. It's likely that one "DLNA" device from one manufacturer may not work well (if at all) with another "DLNA" device from another.

This article may be of interest.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10007069-1.html

DNLA connection between Sony Bravia TV and MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.