Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon MP620 simply wont go WiFi

Hey

I've been googling like a mad and reading through all MP620 topics in the Apple Discussions forum without any luck. I'm beginning to wonder if my Canon MP620 is defect.

The printer works when plugged directly to my MacBook via USB. The printer does not work via WiFi after I've put in the info for my Airport Express (802.11n & WPA/WPA2 Personal security) via the print utility tool - I can enter the info but when I try to establish the connection afterwards via the Setup tool I get a "Could not connect to access point".

Since the printer is close to my Airport I figured that I'd give up on the wireless function and just plug it in to the USB on my Airport - but that doesn't work either!! The Airport registers it, I can find the printer when I search for it on my Macbook, but when I try to connect I get an unkown error (-XXXX).

The firewall is disabled on my MacBook and after running through several setup guides I'm getting close to just returning the printer. I haven't had this much trouble with any software or hardware since I was on PC 😟

Any suggestions or guides are welcomened and I'm of course ready to feed you with any information about my system that you might need, please - help!

(btw, how come you make a printer that can't connect to WiFi through a guide on the printer itself, stupid!)

MacBook2,1, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Apr 5, 2009 3:06 AM

11 replies

Apr 5, 2009 3:59 AM in response to jacobwb

From helping Leopard owners trying to get this model connected via wireless, I have come to the conclusion that it has a problem with WPA and WPA2, or at least it has a problem with Airport networks when using this security type. I would be inclined to change your security to WEP Password to see if the MP620 can connect. This would at least help to determine if there is a problem with the machine.

The USB connection to the AE failing is a concern though. When you say you search for it, do you mean you see the printer in the default browser view and then after selecting it, this error appears? If this is what you have done then I believe you have an issue with the driver installation. Did you install the v7.x driver or the v10 'CUPS' driver? I ask because the so-called CUPS driver is meant for 10.5, not 10.4.

PaHu

May 22, 2009 1:45 AM in response to PAHU

So I tried changing to WEP after having reset both printer and AE to factory settings and making sure I didn't have the CUPS driver installed, but still no luck.

I don't know if this is relevant but my ISP requires you to register the MAC adresses you use (only up to 2) - typically just your router which serves IP's to the rest of the household so you can have an unlimited amount of devices online.

Ever since I installed the Airport Express I couldn't get my iPod Touch online and now after buying this printer it won't connect to the Airport Express either so I'm beginning to think it's a setting in my AE that's not how it should be. Any ideas?

May 22, 2009 5:14 PM in response to jacobwb

In working on the other recent post in this forum about the MP620, which btw is a different setup to yours so it doesn't apply to you, I found the Canon wireless didn't like a long password.

Have a look at the kb article

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1344

When I was enabling the wireless setup on the Mac there was a prompt similar to what is stated in this article, however I ignored it and set my own password. I had selected 40bit but had entered 'password', which is seven characters. The Canon failed to connect to the wireless at this point. When I changed the password to 5 characters, the Canon connected and allowed me to complete the wireless setup. So I suggest you look at changing your WEP password on the AE to see if the Canon will connect.

PaHu

May 26, 2009 2:59 AM in response to jacobwb

I was working on another issue today when I noticed a user got the same 'cannot connect to access point' error message. This was interesting as others running what I thought to be an identical setup were connected to the same printer via wireless.

Upon checking for version differences I found that the Mac getting the error was running an earlier version of the Canon IJ Network Tool, probably the version that is supplied with OS X (v2.50). The ones that were working were using v2.66. So, I ran the installer for v2.66, which showed it was going to upgrade the existing version, and after restarting and going through the setup again, the printer connected to the access point.

So I would suggest you check the version of the Canon IJ Network Tool you have installed, which is located in Mac HD > Library > Printers > Canon > BJPrinter > Utilities. A Get Info will show you the version. If you have something earlier than 2.66, then get onto the Canon web site and get this latest version.

PaHu

Jul 23, 2009 10:00 AM in response to PAHU

Hi y'all

This is simply a summary of the steps outlined by PAHU and Kappy who are the big brains here that explained the steps that worked for me on Mac OS 10.5.6. Thanks and respect to those guys.

First thing is the printer doesnt create its own wifi signal for the mac to pick up ( which is what I was expecting) it hooks up via your home wifi set up for which you need a wireless router. If you don't have that you are in a no go situation and will probably want to kill someone.

So here goes (this may take a while!!)

1) Got to System Preferences>Internet&Network>Sharing
check internet sharing

2) Open Network Utilities in Applications when you are attached to your WiFi network, choose Info (the left most pane) and check what the IP address assigned to your wireless router for your home network. mine came up under Network Interface (en1) and was 192.168.0.1 for the router. You can also check this in System Preferences>Network>Airport>Advanced>TCP/IP. Check the subnet mask there too.

3) Install the drivers for the Canon MP620 (i tried at first having used the Cd and then downloaded ones from he canon website. Now it works - this is probably relevant. PAHU says you need the Canon IJ Network tool v 2.66 to work!!

4) Connect the switched on printer via USB.

5) Go to System Preferences>Print & Fax
and if no Canon MP620 shows up add the printer (click +) and choose Canon MP620 and then click on Open Print Queue. Click Utility in the top right hand quadrant.

6) Choose the USB pane and the printer should show up in the window. Click on it and click Network Settings button. Now you are in Canon IJ Network Tool - whether you realised it or not.

7) It should ask you to set up the printer for the network. Choose your home wifi name (SSID) from options and enter the password you normally use. I have a WPA and used TKIP (Basic Encryption).

8) Now you need to manually set the IP address for the router and the printer. In the TCP /IP section of Canon IJ Network Tool set the Router address to be the same as you found in Network Utility - in my case 192.168.0.1. Set the subnet mask to be 255.255.255.0 (you can double check this by looking in System Preferences>Network>Airport>Advanced>TCP/IP). Still in the TCP /IP section of Canon IJ Network Tool set IP Address to something that is the same as your router address except change the last digit eg I put 192.168.0.10 instead of 192.168.0.1. This will be the IP address allocated to your printer. Click OK and it will tell you it is sending these settings to your printer.

9) If you have been struggling with this for a while you may need to enter the printer Settings section choose Device Settings and then LAN settings and choose reset LAN settings to start again.

10) You know you are winning when you chooses Wireless LAN settings list and things look similar to what you entered on the mac. So unplug the USB and on the printer choose change wireless/wired to wireless.

11) Now go back to System Preferences>Print & Fax and delete the Canon MP620 entry by pressing -. Then press + choose More Printers, wait a while and select MP620 in Canon IJ Network when it shows up or choose Canon IJ Network if you get the option . The printer should be there as MP620 with a numerical address next to it. Choose that. You should be off. (NB Repeat step 11 for any other macs on the network after downloading and installing the printer driver to that mac)

12) Now when you chooses Wireless LAN settings list on the printer it should say active.

Print away.

BTW Canon support had absolutely no idea at all to do this although endearingkly the guy admitted that the manual wasnt very helpful........they escalated me to a higher level enquiry and said someone should phone me back. When or if they do I will email them this post!!

Jul 28, 2009 12:05 PM in response to jacobwb

I just connected my MacBook Pro to Canon MP620 using wireless.

1) set up wired LAN by connecting wifi cable to my laptop
2) insert printer driver CD
3) follow manual from page 44 (step 17)
4) keep wifi cable connected while adding the MP620 series. ( my laptop couldn't detect the printer unless the cable is connected to the laptop)
5) disconnected the wifi cable and now the wireless is able to detect the printer.

Printer setting
Settings --> Device Settings --> LAN settings --> Change wireless/wired --> Wired LAN active (yes... I keep the option as wired, instead of wireless)

Canon MP620 simply wont go WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.