Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spanish layout on English keyboard

Hi,

I have a new MacBook white and it ships with US keyboard layout; my native language is Spanish and I want to use the Spanish ISO keyboard layout anyway. I set up the layout properly and everything works fine: when I press the ";2 key I get the "ñ" (and that's how it should be).

The problem is that I cannot get the "\" (backslash) character.

In a desktop keyboard, the backslash is gotten pressing OPTION-"the key at the left-top", but when I press that in my MacBook, I get a "less or equal" sign.

Do you know how can I get the backslash with some keyboard combination?

Regards,

ernesto

MacBook MB881LL/A, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Apr 6, 2009 4:43 PM

1 reply

Apr 7, 2009 12:00 PM in response to ebasconp

Ernesto, I think you'll find that Command-option-6 will give you the \ that you want. For future reference, it's fairly easy to find what you need by using the Keyboard Viewer. How do you see that? The simplest way is to go to System Preferences > International > Input Menu tab. There, put a check mark into "Keyboard Viewer" and also into "Show input menu in menu bar" at the bottom of the pane. Now also put a check mark into "Spanish" in the scrollable list in the center.

At this point you should see a Spanish flag in your menu bar, no matter what application you're using. When you can't find a character you need to type, simply go to the flag, click and select Keyboard Viewer. By playing around with the shift, option, command and control keys (alone and in combination) you should be able to find what you need.

Good luck! 🙂

Spanish layout on English keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.