Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

copy to another volume

Apologies for the relatively dumb question. I'm trying to user remote desktop to copy files to another volume on the client computers. When I specify the full pathname, the file still ends up in a folder on the startup volume. What's the correct syntax for specifying a volume in a full pathname ? I've tried all the obvious things. Also, the pathname includes folder names with spaces which may be the problem.

Thanks,

Paul

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Apr 6, 2009 7:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2009 6:43 AM

For paths with spaces in the volume or directory name, precede the space with the backslash character, e.g.

/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/yourusername/

To determine the path to copy a file on a network or external volume do the following.

1) Using a workstation you want to copy files to on the network, login to the workstation (via the login window, not via ssh)

2) Launch Terminal

3) Change directories (using cd) to the home directory folder you want to copy the files to

4) Run the 'pwd' command. This command will return the path to the current folder. This will be the path to enter in ARD to copy dialog.

Hope this helps.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2009 6:43 AM in response to macpaul11

For paths with spaces in the volume or directory name, precede the space with the backslash character, e.g.

/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/yourusername/

To determine the path to copy a file on a network or external volume do the following.

1) Using a workstation you want to copy files to on the network, login to the workstation (via the login window, not via ssh)

2) Launch Terminal

3) Change directories (using cd) to the home directory folder you want to copy the files to

4) Run the 'pwd' command. This command will return the path to the current folder. This will be the path to enter in ARD to copy dialog.

Hope this helps.

copy to another volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.