Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Finder while copying file raise error code -36

38868 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2009 2:48 AM by Codrutz RSS
Codrutz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 2, 2009 11:40 AM
I am trying to copy some files, lots of data (about 45 GB) from my internal hard drive to an external USD hard disk and I receive an error:

the finder cannot complete the operation because some data in <file name> could nor be read or written (error code -36)

I have then tried to copy only that particular file and it failed. It reproduces at will for this particular file. I have run Disk Utility on my local hard disk, I have repaired the permissions but the error still persists. Anybody has any suggestions?
MacBook3,1 white 2 GHz, 4GB, 200 GB 7200 rpm, Mac OS X (10.5.6), iPhone 3G 16 GB, Airport Express, ACD 20''
  • Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (221,190 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2009 1:07 PM (in response to Codrutz)
    The file is corrupt which is why it cannot be copied. This problem is internal to the file. Repairing the hard drive won't fix a corrupted file. Simply delete the file or replace it with a good copy from another backup.
    Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz; MBP Unibody; MBP C2D 2.33 Ghz; MBP 2.16 Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.6), iMac C2D 17"; MB 2.0 Ghz; 80GB iPod Video; iPod Touch; iPod Nano 2GB

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.