Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder while copying file raise error code -36

I am trying to copy some files, lots of data (about 45 GB) from my internal hard drive to an external USD hard disk and I receive an error:

the finder cannot complete the operation because some data in <file name> could nor be read or written (error code -36)

I have then tried to copy only that particular file and it failed. It reproduces at will for this particular file. I have run Disk Utility on my local hard disk, I have repaired the permissions but the error still persists. Anybody has any suggestions?

MacBook3,1 white 2 GHz, 4GB, 200 GB 7200 rpm, Mac OS X (10.5.6), iPhone 3G 16 GB, Airport Express, ACD 20''

Posted on Apr 8, 2009 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2009 1:07 PM

The file is corrupt which is why it cannot be copied. This problem is internal to the file. Repairing the hard drive won't fix a corrupted file. Simply delete the file or replace it with a good copy from another backup.
2 replies

Finder while copying file raise error code -36

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.