Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Start Up - Asked to select hard drive

Hi,

This problem has only started in the last couple of weeks.

Not everytime, but around 1 in 4 times I start up, almost as soon as the screen comes alive, rather than getting the apple logo, I get the MacIntosh HD image (with the words MacIntosh HD under it), with an arrow underneath pointing at it.

I select it and it continues to boot up as normal.

Other times, it's fine - but every few goes it starts up like this.

Any suggestions as to why?

macbook 13inch, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Apr 9, 2009 7:11 AM

2 replies

Apr 9, 2009 7:36 AM in response to dfisher74

Hmm... that's odd. Have you ever installed BootCamp? If you had, go into your System Preferences and make sure that your OS X volume is set up to be the boot drive. Even if you haven't installed BootCamp, this setting can sometimes go screwy. It's strange that it only happens occasionally though. Also, holding down the Option key during boot will bring up the option to select your boot drive.

Apr 9, 2009 4:08 PM in response to JoeyR

Thanks - not boot camp here.

I'll give you an example, I put on yesterday morning before I went to work and again when I got home - not dramas. Turned it on again later in the night - walked away after I turned it on and it hadnt started and was stuck asking for me to select the hard drive.

Just booted it up this morning and there were no issues

Start Up - Asked to select hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.