Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dell E207WFP and UltraSharp 2208WFP monitors

Has anyone tried using a 20" Dell E207WFP monitor or a 22" Dell
UltraSharp 2208WFP with their Mac Mini? Would you recommend either of those monitors?

Are those monitors at a high enough resolution to avoid jagged text from being rendered by the 9400M?

Mac mini 2009, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Apr 9, 2009 11:40 PM

14 replies

May 20, 2009 11:06 AM in response to RoleyBirkin

I concur with the last opinion that the 2208wpf is not looking too good right now on my MBP. The color is off and very washed out looking. I have tried to use the monitor's adjustments, but can't get it to look good. I don't know enough about the Color Sync utility.

Can anyone give me an assist? Point me in the right direction?

Jun 16, 2009 4:35 AM in response to JohnBarrett

O.K I have a similar issue to others in this thread, colours and text seem a little washed out/grainy, especially surfing the web, pictures on websites seem grainy for instance.
I have a Dell 2408WFP monitor connected using the Mini DVI - DVI adaptor that was included with the Mini.
This issue has been bugging me since I swithed to the mac in March09 with the purchase of the Mini.
I have seen the Mini Displayport - Displayport cable that has just surfaced, would this help as it can handle better resolutions (the dell is 1920 x 1200?). Or are you suggesting more RAM to help with the problem.

BTW I am lovin the mac experience but this issue is driving me mad!!

Cheers

Jun 24, 2009 9:56 AM in response to Goodnight L.A

Simon,

My 09 Mini is connected to a Dell 2409W via the included Mini DVI Port adapter and to a 20 inch Apple aluminum Cinema Display using a Mini Display Port adapter (Apple or Best Buy). The Dell is running at 1092x1080 (its max) and the ACD at 1680x1050 (its max). As far as I know, both cables have the same capabilities. I purchased the Mini with 4GB RAM. I would say try at least 2GB RAM, but more for maximum performance on all counts. Also if you are going to have the box pried open for the upgrade, you may as well put in maximum RAM.

John

Jun 25, 2009 6:50 AM in response to JohnBarrett

John,

Thanks for the reply, I will have to try and upgrade the RAM and possibly purchase the Displayport cable (I can't find it here in the U.K so will have to order from the States http://estore.circuitassembly.com/products/Mini-Displayport-to-Displayport-Adapt er-Cable.html?productsid=287&gclid=CISMvSs75kCFYUSzAodsAzuRw

Out of interest I tried to change the wallpaper from the standard Leopard (as this is a little 'grainy' towards the bottom left of the monitor) to the 'grass' picture and the result was awful...terrible colour representation and slightly blurred.

I have rung Applecare to try that approach but in the end they suggested making an appointment with an apple genius at one of the stores (why did I pay for Applecare with suggestions like that!!)

Anyway, thanks again.

Oct 1, 2009 5:58 AM in response to Goodnight L.A

I have the same issue with E207WFP.

Problem describtion:
MBP Pro 13" with Dell E207WFP in mirror mode.
Connected through VGA to Mini-Display-Port adapter

The display quality of the external monitor is extremely bad. It looks like the resolution should be set much higher in order to sharpen all the graphics. But the highest available resolution is set already (1680x1050).

Do you know whether the connection is the problem? Would it help if I connected the monitor using a DVI-cable?

Oct 1, 2009 10:11 AM in response to fire00

Die Lösung ist hier:

Ich habe heute eine Stunde mit Apple-Support telefoniert.
Die Lösung des Problems ist wie unten beschrieben. Bei mir war es so, daß ich einen Dell TFT per VGA-Kabel am MBP Pro angeschlossen hatte.

Nun habe ich die beiden Dinger per DVI verbunden, Spiegelung / Mirroring eingstellt und das MBP zugeschlossen. Ist der MBP geschlossen und die Grafikkarte somit nur an das externe Display Daten schickt, ist alles wunderbar.

Das Problem entsteht eben dann, wenn beide Displays (MBP + Externes Display) leuchten.

http://www.macuser.de/forum/f14/macbook-pro-externes-291057/index2.html#post5543 664

Message was edited by: fire00

Oct 1, 2009 10:17 AM in response to edtechre

if the 2 displays have the same resolution, go with the 20" as the 2" more screen size won't be as sharp as the same resolution on a smaller display.

I'd rather have the sharper detail than the larger size, all it does is stretch the pixels out.

the hassle I went thru on mine to correct an ordering error cured me from buying Dell again.

Dell E207WFP and UltraSharp 2208WFP monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.