Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NTFS External Drive and Mac OS X 10.5.6

I am about to get a new Macbook Pro to replace my old Dell laptop, I used an external hard drive (My Book 320 GB drive) to save my music and videos. The external drive was formatted with windows NTFS format system. I was wondering if the Mac OS will be able to move all the contents of the external drive into the macs internal 512 GB Hard Drive with the capability to edit, copy, cut e.t.c the files located with in the external drive.
Thank you

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Apr 11, 2009 4:34 PM

4 replies

Apr 11, 2009 4:50 PM in response to leonchike

OS X can read NTFS formatted drive but not write to them. that means that you can copy anything you want off this drive but if you want to add or change any data on it you should either reformat the drive mac os extended (if you'll only use it with OS X), FAT (read+write by both os x and windows) or use extra software like macfuse and NTFS-3g which make NTFS drives writable from OS X.
http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/

if you don't plan to use the drive with windows I strongly recommend reformatting it mac os extended.

Apr 12, 2009 5:45 AM in response to V.K.

im new to this i dont know how to send a personal message but i wanted to ask you about some previous post about deleting whats in the trash
i had this problem where i tried to delete lots of files in my trash but for some weird reasons it didnt work
now after i did what you have suggested it workd
which was to type this in the terminal: sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash
thanks 🙂

but now..everytime i want to delete a file it automatically permanently deletes it
so just wondering how to return it to the way it normally worked??

NTFS External Drive and Mac OS X 10.5.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.