Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleCare Coverage, Lost Receipt

As I was playing around on Apple's website I noticed a link to "check the status of my warranty", assuming my warranty was activated (I bought my MBP and 3 yr plan almost 1.5 years ago), I clicked the link and to my horror discovered Apple has no record of my purchasing a protection plan.

Considering I own a $2000 computer and purchased a $350 warranty to cover any possible problems I figured I could just go on and register my AppleCare today, 18 months later-turns out this isn't the case. If anyone has had previous experience with registering an AppleCare protection program after 1 year of purchase (my original date was 08/08/07) any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and to make matters worse, I don't think I have the original receipt and I didn't purchase online. Can I attain a copy of my original sales receipt at the retail store?...it has only been 18 months. Someone please help me. This is my first mac and I have had such a positive experience up until now, I really do not want to imagine the mere possibility that my $2000 computer, for which I DID purchase a warranty for, is not covered because I didn't "register" it, when there was no indication at the time of purchase to do so. Please help. Thank you.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Apr 11, 2009 11:37 PM

4 replies

Apr 12, 2009 2:09 AM in response to Cal-Mav

"I clicked the link and to my horror discovered Apple has no record of my purchasing a protection plan."

Apple does not track the sales of the extended Applecare plans. It is up to the individual end-user to REGISTER the plan and computer, BEFORE the original warranty expired. Keep your fingers crossed that no repairs are required for the next 18 months.

Apr 12, 2009 4:43 AM in response to Cal-Mav

When I bought my first Mac, I bought AppleCare at the same time.

I later had to take it in for repair. Before I went in I checked my online AC status - it didn't show up. When I went to the service centre, they had it on record anyway as the shop where I bought it HAD registered it.

With my latest Mac, I also couldn't successfully register the AC online. i had to ring up AC for them to do it for me.

So, in a nutshell, their online status of AC has been flakey for me. Get in touch with Apple, there's really nothing anybody here can do, but unlike what the previous poster said, there may be hope if the shop registered your AC for you but it simply doesn't show up.

Apr 13, 2009 7:40 AM in response to Cal-Mav

As everyone else has said, if you purchased your AC and the MBP at the same time, they most likely automatically enrolled you (as has been the case with both of my computers). The status when I check online does say that I'm not enrolled, but anytime I've been into the Apple Store for work they scan it and it pops up as under apple care (save my iBook with is 4 years old).

If they did not enroll you automatically, the store may be able to work something to allow you to retroactively start your apple care (meaning you'll only have the 1.5 years left, not a new 3 years from now). But the only way to be sure is head to a store/call customer service.

AppleCare Coverage, Lost Receipt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.